cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP RR - one or two paths

Michal Rzepecki
Level 1
Level 1

I have two route reflectors (not clustered) in my lab and 10 PE routers. All PE routers have two iBGP sessions established - one to RR1 and one to RR2.
Should I see one or two paths in BGP VPNV4 table for for a prefix advertised by a PE router?
For some prefixes I can see two paths - with the same prefix and next hop - one reflected by RR1 and another reflected by RR2. Only one path is the best of course.
For some other prefixes I can see one path reflected by RR1.
I'm not sure but I think that two paths reflected by two RRs are expected in case of route reflectors that are not clustered. Can anyone cofirm?

Strangest thing is that it depends which PE router I'm checking on.
If I'm checking on one of IOS XR PE routers I can see two paths (from RR1 and RR2) for every prefix advertised by other IOS XR PE routers and only one path for every prefix advertised by IOS XE PE routers.
Opposite situation is when I'm checking on one of IOS XE PE routers - I can see two paths (from RR1 and RR2) for every prefix advertised by other IOS XE PE routers and only one path for every prefix advertised by IOS XR PE routers.
Has anybody seen something like that before?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure backup path - below thread help you (is this what you looking or i miss read the requirement)

https://community.cisco.com/t5/xr-os-and-platforms/xr-as-rr-with-bgp-additional-paths/m-p/3019224

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for reply but this is not related to my questions.

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.55.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-01 at 4.55.24 AM.png

Thank you for reply. your answer is not related to my questions.

I attach Photo to what RR do when receive two same Prefix, 
RR will send the best path to client BUT, RR behavior different in XE and XR.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: