cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the a9k-rsp880-se and a9k-rsp880-lt-se be mixed in the same ASR9010 chassis to prestage a different chassis upgrade?

krehb
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to pre-stage an ASR 9010 upgrade by installing a single a9k-rsp880-lt-se in a different chassis that has a9k-rsp880-se processors in it so that the desired IOS-XR is installed on the a9k-rsp880-lt-se processor?

3 Replies 3

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have not been able to test this in the lab yet or find any documentation saying this will or won't work. The issue is about scale, bandwidth etc. For the part of staging so long as they reach a redundant state it is supported for that purpose.

Are you trying to stage a LT card in an existing non-LT chassis? Do you have both right now? The only restriction I can think of is LT needs 6.4.2 minimum. I would not recommend this scenario for production.

If you need me to test this, I can probably get it in the lab by Wednesday.

Sam

Yes, that is what I am looking to do. I have an older chassis with A9K-RSP-4G rsp's. We are going to bring it down and replace all of the cards and bring it back up and configure it. In looking to make this process as quick as possible, I was hoping to stage the new rsp's (A9K-RSP-LT-SE) in a different chassis running A9K-RSP-880-SE rsp's to verify and upgrade the IOS version if necessary. This chassis is running 6.5.2. This chassis has less than 20 TenGigE links on it, but is acting as a BNG with 2000+ PPPoE subs on it. If you can verify that it works, or test it in the lab, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I confirmed in my lab that it does not work, the card starts to boot and then errors and reloads.

Sam