Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot TurboBoot from MGMT Interface - ASR9006

Hey all.

I just tried booting up our 9006 with the RSP880's in them.  Found out there's no OS so I understand I have to TurboBoot and get the VM on there.  Problem is, I hook up MGM0 (and 1) to our Management Switch, go through the steps of adding an IP, SM and Gateway of our VLAN, and I noticed i'm not able to ping that address.  No ARP on my switch for that IP, nothing.  I do try to boot to the TFTP server (which I can ping sourced from the SVI of the VLAN), but no luck. 

I'm thinking i'm missing a step here.  I following this article from Xander:  https://community.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/asr9000-xr-understanding-turboboot-and-initial-system-bring-up/ta-p/3146024

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ROMMON has no ping functionality, you just have to setup the variables, type sync, then boot the image from the tftp server. If you have the right ip, gateway, subnet, tftp address, and tftp folder / file then everything will work.

By default Mgmt port 0 is used.

Sam

I kept getting a failed message. Here is the entirety of the process:

rommon 19 > boot tftp://10.6.94.4/Users/m200/Downloads/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3-Turboboot/asr9k-mini-px.vm-5.3.3
TFTP server specified is:
TFTP filename specified is: Users/m200/Downloads/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3-Turboboot/asr9k-mini-px.vm-5.3.3
Selecting MGMT LAN 0 interface.

IP_ADDRESS: 10.8.160.80
IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.224
DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 10.8.160.65
TFTP_SERVER: 10.6.94.4
TFTP_FILE: Users/m200/Downloads/ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.3.3-Turboboot/asr9k-mini-px.vm-5.3.3
TFTP_MACADDR: 00:a7:42:17:0f:10
TFTP_VERBOSE: Progress
TFTP_RETRY_COUNT: 4
TFTP_TIMEOUT: 6000
TFTP_CHECKSUM: Yes
ETHER_PORT: 3
ETHER_SPEED_MODE: Auto Detect
TFTP attempt 1 of 1

TFTP error 2 received (Access violation).
TFTP: Operation terminated.
Failed to TFTP boot from MGT LAN 0.

I just got done reading several threads on this type of issue, ubuntu forums, etc as 32-bit XR is QNX (unix) based it has the error codes and networking stack of typical unix/linux, just shrunk down so it can fit in rommon.

Basically the issue boils down to being able to read the file, is it in the right directory, does the directory have world readable permission, etc. The best thing to do is look at the TFTP logs on your TFTP server and see whats going on there.

Sam