Helpful
Replies

[CGN VSM] Logical Partition + Throughput

Carlos A. Silva
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, 

While reading through the CGN VSM deployment guide:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/asr9000-xr-cgv6-on-vsm-cgn-nat44-deployment-guide/tac-p/3741638#M5431

I saw the following:

• Logical Partitioning inside VSM - Internally, VSM is divided into 2 Logic Partitions. Hence, in order to achive full throughput and scale limit (per VSM), you should have minimal of 2 Inside VRFs, 4 ServiceApp interfaces (2 in each partition), 2 Public IP address pool, etc. Traffic / subscribers which needs to avail NAT44 service also needs to be divided into 2 groups (each one associated to each Inside VRF). Following table shows the partitioning of ServiceApp interfaces between these 2 groups (which needs to be kept in mind during configuration).

It is my understanding from reading this section that for me to use full VSM throughput, I would have to configure, at least, two inside serviceapp interfaces (plus 2 corresponding outside serviceapps). Is this correct? What would be the expected behavior if I just configure a single pair SA1(outside)/SA2(inside)? Would only half the throughput be available to me?

The reason I ask is that I currently have a setup with single in/out serviceapps and yet the VSM is processing around 30G in peak hours (2G in2out, 28G out2in), which is about what I expected full throughput to be around.

Can anyone please clarify this (with an example if possible)?

Thanks!

c.

2 Replies 2

ebenav11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Carlos A. Silva I was deployed the CGN on VSM 500 by many years.

From your post "It is my understanding from reading this section that for me to use full VSM throughput, I would have to configure, at least, two inside serviceapp interfaces (plus 2 corresponding outside serviceapps). Is this correct?"

For to use the VSM full you need almost 4 ServiceApp interface, One pair in/out in the logical partition 1, the second pair in the logicali partition 2 

What would be the expected behavior if I just configure a single pair SA1(outside)/SA2(inside)?

You to use one partinion on the VSM-500

Would only half the throughput be available to me?

Yes

Internally, VSM is divided into 2 Logic Partitions. Hence, in order to achive full throughput and scale limit (perVSM), you should have minimal of 2 Inside VRFs, 4 ServiceAppinterfaces (2ineachpartition), 2 Public IP address pool, etc.

Traffic / subscribers which needs to avail NAT44 service also needs to bedivided into 2 groups (each one associated to each Inside VRF). Following table shows the partitioning of Service Appinterfaces between these 2 groups (which needs to be kept in mind during configuration).

Use the ABF ACL´s for the traffic redirection

KR!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: