Views
Helpful
Replies

CPAK-100G-LR4 Module with LC-SC Adapter

mw79
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

this year Cisco changed something on connector site of CPAK-100G-LR4. Until middle of the year there was an SC connector directly on the module. Now if you buy a CPAK-100G-LR4 there is an LC-SC Adapter added to the module. Is it possible to use the module without the SC adapter and connect a LC cable directly to the module. I don't ask whether it is physically possible, which obviously is, but instead I would like to know whether it should work without the adapter and whether this is supported in case of problems to avoid discussions with TAC.

I also know there is a CPAK-100GE-LR4 which seems to be to "official" option with LC connector and the question is not about CPAK-100GE-LR4.

BR

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dpacific
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The LC-SC adapter on CPAK-100G-LR4 can be removed, if desired. Should a problem arise, whether the LC-SC adapter is used or not used will not cause any conflict during troubleshooting with TAC. However, SC is the officially supported connector type for CPAK-100G-LR4 (for continuity with CPAK-100G-LR4 before the change) so RMA replacements may be made with either the older version with SC connectors directly on the module or the newer version that comes with an LC-SC adapter.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mivens
Level 1
Level 1

The documentation suggests that it is intended that you use the module without the adapter if you want.

At
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-728110.html#CiscoCPAK100GBASELR4Module
it says

"The LC-SC adapter on CPAK-100G-LR4 is removable if LC connectors are desired"

The cabling characterstics for the product at https://copi.cisco.com/?tpid=33 has the note:

"CPAK-100G-LR4 can also accomodate Dual LC connector if LC-SC adapter is removed."

dpacific
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The LC-SC adapter on CPAK-100G-LR4 can be removed, if desired. Should a problem arise, whether the LC-SC adapter is used or not used will not cause any conflict during troubleshooting with TAC. However, SC is the officially supported connector type for CPAK-100G-LR4 (for continuity with CPAK-100G-LR4 before the change) so RMA replacements may be made with either the older version with SC connectors directly on the module or the newer version that comes with an LC-SC adapter.

Thanks a lot.

There is one more less cosmetic issue which might cause big confusion. I you do a "show controllers <interface> phy" you see as connector type SC:

[...]

CFP EEPROM port: 0
Xcvr Type: CFP2
Ext Type: 24W, Host Lane n:n, LANWDM, CLEI,
Connector Type: SC
Ethernet Application Codes: 100GE-LR4,

[...]

So in case you ommit the adapter this will not reflect the current connection type. In case of remote hands support, this might be an issue. This seems to be always SC in the textual output. In an environment with multiple locations and different versions of the optics, this is not so helpful. This is also the reason why I asked this question because SC is hard coded here.

dpacific
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I understand your  point, and this is why I specified before  "SC is the officially supported connector type for CPAK-100G-LR4"

and yes, the "SC" value needs to be hardcoded into the transceiver memory as there is no way to detect what is actually connected outside

Is the version number indicative of anything?  I know this part is up to at least V09 at this point.  For instance, is everything up through V08 SC, and everything V09 higher than this LC?  Could we use this to remotely determine what the connector type is?

Hello Bill,

Yes, everything up through V08 is SC, for the moment V09 is LC, and we are not expecting to reverting to SC connectors

you can definitely leverage on the version number to determine the connector type for now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: