cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCPv6 stateless relay in XR?

Garry Peirce
Level 1
Level 1

In IOS-XR, DHCP relaying is handled differently.

Replacing IOS interface based helper-addresses, the new DHCP section enables profiles to be created and applied to interfaces.

Ok, I can live with that...but ...where's v6 stateless relay support (in v4.3.0)?

Pre-4.3.0 docs mention it's use as belowm but 4.3.0 does not like step3.

1. configure

2. dhcp ipv6

3. interface type interface-path-id relay

4. destination ipv6-address

Within 4.3:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:GW-ASR(config)#dhcp ipv4 profile test ?

proxy  Create or enter proxy profile

relay  Create or enter relay profile

snoop  Create or enter snoop profile

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:GW-ASR(config)#dhcp ipv6 profile test ?

proxy   Create or enter proxy profile

server  Create or enter server profile

This doc mentions IPv6 stateless but includes no examples.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.3/bng/configuration/guide/b_bng_cg43asr9k_chapter_0100.html#concept_98CDF5C2687D4F77ADAD43C1CC959683

Anyone able to confirm this is absent and that it's not handled in some other way?

thanks,

5 Replies 5

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Garry, I have set out this question to our XR DHCP folks. When I hear either them or me will let you know what the scoop is.

xander

apologies for the delay Gary, I have a response for you from our dhcp developmen team:

We withdrew support for stateless relay on ipv6 in 430 in comparison to pre 430 releases.

DHCPv6 is completely re-written in 430 and it was decided during that rewrite to discontinue relay support for v6.

This is not a big problem. We do support ‘proxy’ in new code and after all proxy is a super set of relay functionality.

regards

xander

Xander, 

I see the old method is still listed in 5.1 docs.  I verified it's not possible in 5.1, seems a doc error.

http://tinyurl.com/psafx9b

Hi Gary, thanks for catching that!

I have pointed the doc team to reflect taht this configuration is obsolete post XR43, and this doc you referenced is indeed 511, so incorrect.

Apologies for that and thanks for the notification.

cheers!

xander

hey Gary, some good news! Because you liked it so much (and others too) it's back in XR 5.2.2!

Thought you might be interested since you referenced it on the wish-list blog too and wanted you to know at least ONE of your wishes is covered :)

cheers!

xander