Views
Helpful
Replies

eBGP between VRF's on XR. Possible?

smailmilak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

has anybody tried to establish an eBGP session between VRF's (not between vrf default and non-default VRF)?

I have leaked the routes and ping is ok. The XR router has the BGP configuration under vrf "Internet" and neighbor is in vrf "4ARBOR". Update-source is also in vrf Internet, and I have also tried to use update-source in vrf 4ARBOR but everytime it's says:

BGP state = Idle (No route to multi-hop neighbor) --- This is when I have BGP config between Loopbacks.

There is a route to bgp neighbor but next-hop is in different vrf. I thought that if ping is ok then there should not be an issue with BGP. 

In case of eBGP configuration between directly connected interfaces it stays in "ACTIVE" state. 

I know that this is somehow weird to use but the customer has this setup on Juniper where this is working fine. It's used for Arbor TMS.

I have found a discussion where somebody has done this on IOS with a similar config.

This is probably a limitation on IOS-XR?

p.s. I have two more options to solve this but I would like to know if this is possible with minimal configuration when the customer has to switch a user between Arbor protection service and non-Arbor protection service.

1 Reply 1

joshuacmoore
Level 1
Level 1

The VRF setup should be transparent to each router. They should simply see each session as an eBGP session to a different AS.

Can you show your BGP config "sh run router bgp" from each side?