cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP failure in During ASR9006 Upgrade

jebenzon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I'm currently working on a software upgrade for a client.  The platform is ASR9006 with XR 5.1.2.  I configured a filezilla ftp server on my windows laptop.  I'm using Windows 7 as my base OS and permitted ftp on windows firewall.  I made a custom tarball for the IOS-XR 5.1.3 which includes the main installation package and a separate tarball for the SMU.  Everytime I invoke the command below to initiate an installation, I get the following logs.  As pre-checks, pings between the mgmt port and my laptop are ok.  FTP is properly configured (validated from laptop to laptop ftp transaction).  

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios#admin
Fri Jun 19 01:47:40.136 UTC
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(admin)#install  add source ftp://xxx:yyy@172.$
Fri Jun 19 01:48:18.989 UTC
Install operation 5 '(admin) install add source
/ftp://xxx:yyy@172.16.1.2/ asr9k513.tar activate synchronous'
started by user 'cisco' via CLI at 01:48:19 UTC Fri Jun 19 2015.
Warning:  The following file has the suffix '.tar' and will be treated as a tar
Warning:  file:
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Jun 19 01:48:19.458 : instdir[259]: %INSTALL-INSTMGR-4-INSTALL_OPERATION_WARNING : A warning occurred during install operation 5. See 'show install log 5 detail' for more informatiWarning:      /ftp://jeormebenzon:********@172.16.1.2/asr9k513.tar
on. 
Warning:  If a file should not be treated as tar file:
Warning:   - change the file extension.
Warning:  To stop this message being displayed:
Warning:   - use the tar keyword to explicitly specify a tar file.
\ 1% complete: The operation can still be aborted (ctrl-c for options)RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Jun 19 01:48:49.480 : instdir[259]: %INSTALL-INSTMGR-3-INSTALL_OPERATION_USER_ERROR : User error occurred during install operation 5. See 'show install log 5 detail' for more information. 
Error:    Cannot proceed with the add operation because the tar file
Error:    '/ftp://xxx:yyy@172.16.1.2/asr9k513.tar' could not be
Error:    found.
Error:    Suggested steps to resolve this:
Error:     - check the name of the tar file.
Error:     - check the location of the tar file.
Error:     - check the file permissions of the tar file.
Error:     - check network connectivity of the SDR containing the dSC.
Part 1 of 2 (add software): Failed. Error information available as part of
command output above. For more information see '(admin) show install log 5'
Part 2 of 2 (activate software): Skipped due to failures in part 1

I used the same tarball to downgrade an ASR9006 with XR 5.3.0 to XR 5.1.3 two weeks ago with the same laptop with filezilla ftp server.  Is there a known issue on 5.1.2 about ftp or am I missing some pre-configuration items on ASR9006 before I can proceed with the upgrade?  I also attached a pre-upgrade capture which might be useful.  Thanks very much.  Your help very much appreciated.  

9 Replies 9

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jerome,

Why don't you make one tarball which includes the 5.1.3 software + Service Pack (so you won't need to be worry about SMU management), a lot of customers are moving to Service Packs, its just much better and easier. 

Regarding your problems.

Try the following and if it doesn't work, use the copy command to copy from the ftp server to the HD of the router and then do the add from there:

admin inst add tar ftp://jeormebenzon:yourpassword@172.16.1.2/asr9k513.tar

if the above doesn't work, see if you can copy the file to the router with the copy command:

copy ftp://jeormebenzon:yourpassword@172.16.1.2/asr9k513.tar  harddisk:

if the above works:

install add harddisk:asr9k513.tar activate

Eddie.

More info on Service Packs if your interested:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xr-software/117550-technote-product-00.html

Eddie.

Hi Eddie,

Good day and thanks for accommodating my inquiry!  FTP seems to be a viable solution for large file transfer although some TFTP application nowadays also support huge file transfers.  So far, I tried two different ftp servers (cerberus and filezilla) and still failed. Authentication seems to work but transfer does not happen. Interesting to note that on tftpd64, the SMU tarball i made was successfully unpacked in disk0, though, this process is painfully very slow.  Another test I made is using USB (disk1) as source, which seems to be a faster approach.  Anyhow, it's more of a habit for me to read and understand each SMU package which you guys release if this will or will not apply to my customer's network.  I'll try to use the craft tool and service pack as you've recommended.  Thanks very much! :)

Best regards,

Jerome

I tried to answer all of them in one reply:

> But this time around, I'm upgrading from 5.1.2 to 5.1.3.

Nothing special here, it should work, if you still want me to look at it i can, PM me your details and location i can setup a quick webex with you.

> Yes, I agree with you on the 2x processing via install add.

This 2x for install add is only if a TAR is being used, we are looking at this though.

> So far, I tried two different ftp servers (cerberus and filezilla) and still failed. Authentication > seems to work but transfer  does not happen. Interesting to note that on tftpd64.

Starting to think its a PC firewall issue of some kind, did you try copying it to disk1, or harddisk of the router with the copy command i shared earlier? Id like to get to the bottom of this if you get time, PM me..

> it's more of a habit for me to read and understand each SMU package which release if this > will or will not apply to my customer's network.  I'll try to use the craft tool

CSM is the tool you want to use here, it does help a lot with presenting the info about each SMU, its impact and dependency. We are about to release a version which does complete automation of software and SMU deployment from any to any release, with one click, where the software will be downloaded from CCO to the router, while you have
a beer or drink or smoke :)

Download it:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414851&flowid=2137&softwareid=284777134&release=2.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

User guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/smu/csmuser.html#concept_E2C80A2EBC5A462DBB870975CFtest

Regards

Eddie.

Hi Eddie,

Good day!  So far, I have a successful transfer in TFTP using tftpd64 and solarwinds with my windows fw off.  I also did the install from disk1 (usb).  FTP failed using filezilla (two versions 0.9.43 and 0.9.53) and cerberus both with windows fw off.  I was not able to test the ftp to harddisk as copy from hdd to ftp server also failed (copy of show tech from hdd to ftp) and vice versa.  

As for the CSM download, I was not able to do so as it requires a valid contract.  Our sales team handles this one.  Let me know if there are other ways to download it.  I'll send you a message via email later on.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Jerome

For large files it's usually better to copy to a local filesystem first.

I believe the install add command effectively transfers the file twice from the remote location (behaviour that could be enhanced).

hi mark,

I actually had an installation earlier which is downgrading 5.3.0 to 5.1.3 and everything went well using ftp (filezilla) with no issues.  But this time around, I'm upgrading from 5.1.2 to 5.1.3.  Not sure if anybody in the community might have the same issue.  Anyway, two things I've tested is via USB (disk1) and tftp which seems to work fine.  Might be a good heads up in case somebody might be trapped on the same issue.  

Yes, I agree with you on the 2x processing via install add.  Seems like memory/disk buffering stuff on the background which makes a simple file transfer a bit slow. 

best regards,

Jerome

You can often speed up transfers by increasing the appropriate LPTS threshold (if making that change is suitable for your environment).

I think the double file transfer is it checking the integrity of the file first round.

Mark, your correct, this is something that is being investigated, experienced this a few days back with a large file transfer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: