cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Improving install experience in IOS XR (ASR9K/CRS)

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This time its a question to our customers:

If you insisted on keeping SMUs, SPs, Install rollback and the things you have gotten used to today, how would you change the install process to make it simpler, but still provide what we do now?

Or asked differently what do struggle with today when it comes to Installing/Upgrading Software and what would you like to see improved.

We want to hear your feedback. You can send a message too, please don't hold back..

Eddie.

33 Replies 33

Hello, I don't know why we would insist on any of these things. The things that are most important are:

1. Minimizing the impact to our customers. Any outage is bad and the longer it is the worse it gets.
  2. Simplifying the procedure, the longer it takes, the more its costs to own the router which increases the cost of our services making them less attractive to potential customers.

If you are going to fix upgrades, then you need to look what is the ideal and how can you get there.It might not happen tomorrow, but you need to make it happen.

Agree on number 1 and 2. On the last line, you mentioned ideal, what is ideal in your opinion? can you please elaborate?

Zivnoah76
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Eddie,

I'll start from bottom line, since the move from IOS to IOS-XR, although you have added lots of features, it's became very "challenging" to install/upgrade ASR9k.

1. S/W versions are much bigger

2. I remember that when trying to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.2.3 we had to make room for the new packages, so we had to repartition disk space on disk0: - It was very complicated, so the TAC did it for us. The whole process took the whole night and of course there was a major traffic impact to our customers. And we have some of these machines.

3. Need to decide which package to install and activate

4. Sometimes license is needed, VRF for example

5. Always need to check "show hw-module fpd location all". Not so hard, but still something to remember and to reload line cards...longer maintenance window.

6. I'm not aware of fix date of SPs to be released, so I don't know if to wait for a one or just install the SMUs...

7. And there are lots of SMUs during version's lifecycle.

8. It seems you need a PhD to upgrade the the machines.

Eddie, I don't know exactly what needs to be done, but you have to shorten the whole process, make it easier and user friendly to us, the Cisco users. Because the operations guys always get confused when it comes to IOS-XR upgrade or new installation.

Thanks for reading.

Hi, thanks for the detailed feedback, sorry missed the notification before, responding now:

1) Yep the images are larger, unfortunately as we add more processor types and we support multiple RSPs and LC combo's it will get even bigger, its really about extending the life cycle and giving back ROI, here :(, but i know the pain this creates.

2)  Agree, this was because the RSP2 had a 2G disk issue. I created a clear documented on how to deal with this issue, if you still have RSP2 you should bookmark the following:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/145991/managing-disk-space-rsp-4grsp-8g-aka-rsp2

3) I would like to introduce you to CSM Server, its a complete system upgrade + SMU provisioning automation. It picks all your packages for you, btw, we are working on going down to much simpler packaging.

4) Smart licensing should solve that, user won't need to worry about this. 

5) You probably already know about auto fpd upgrades, well we are even making it easier and simpler..  Standby for more simplicity.

6) Point taken, we will start communicating the Service Pack dates in advance to the support forum. 

As for documentation i have put together this install FAQ, appreciate feedback..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/145991/managing-disk-space-rsp-4grsp-8g-aka-rsp2

2. I remember that when trying to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.2.3 we had to make room for the new packages, so we had to repartition disk space on disk0: - It was very complicated, so the TAC did it for us. The whole process took the whole night and of course there was a major traffic impact to our customers. And we have some of these machines.

5. Always need to check "show hw-module fpd location all". Not so hard, but still something to remember and to reload line cards...longer maintenance window.

6. I'm not aware of fix date of SPs to be released, so I don't know if to wait for a one or just install the SMUs...

Eddie, I don't know exactly what needs to be done, but you have to shorten the whole process, make it easier and user friendly to us, the Cisco users. Because the operations guys always get confused when it comes to IOS-XR upgrade or new installation.

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12423571/improving-install-experience-ios-xr-asr9kcrs#sthash.z8VSI5hb.dpuf

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12423571/improving-install-experience-ios-xr-asr9kcrs#sthash.z8VSI5hb.dpuf
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: