Views
Helpful
Replies

Ingress policing on NCS 55x (Jericho+)

danailpetrov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have some question around ingress policing on NCS and I will appreciate any inputs on that.

Let's consider the following scenario:

[10G server] -- [10G SWITCH] -- [CISCO NCS]

Typical server connected to 10G switch and then to 10G on NCS. 

What I want to do is to limit the traffic of 10G server, which is blasting at line rate for a very short period of time. (e.g It will take 100ms to serialize 1Gbps (125MB) on 10G link. However, that'll cause me problems elsewhere on the network and I want to avoid it. )

So what I want to do is to limit the burst basically and say that I don't allow this server (or physical port) to be able to burst above 1G rates and my calculations work as follow: 

For a CIR of 1Gbps, I want to configure Tc of 10 ms and Bc value of 1.25 mbytes. I know this is rather "extreme" approach, but it is what I need, considering the nature of the traffic, which should be able to adapt to dropped packets.  

My question is - is the Tc value on the NCS fixed or is it going to be deducted from the burst/cir? 

If I configure this:

policy-map POLICER-1G-IN
 class class-default
  police rate 1000 mbps burst 1250 kbytes

will the NCS configure the Tc interval to 10 ms ? 

Hope the above makes sense & thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I checked with development and TC is statically set to 10ms, irrespective of any configuration value.

Sam

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The queue-limit on 5500s is set to 10ms of service-rate (1s) by default. However, queue-limit is something reserved for queuing actions, which can only apply to egress policies.

There is minimal queuing that occurs on ingress from what I have been able to find on the subject, if I had to guess it would probably be 10ms or less.

If you need a definitive answer I can look into this more.

Sam

Hi Sam and thanks for your response.

If you can dig out something that’ll be really appreciated! 

For now I am only interested on the ingress. 

Thanks

I checked with development and TC is statically set to 10ms, irrespective of any configuration value.

Sam

Thanks very much for confirming this, Sam!

Do you have any reference/document which you can share with me so I can use for reference within our internal design rationalses? 

Also, can you confirm for which platform is this? Is it for all the Jericho+ based ones? (55A1/55A2/540?) 

Many thanks once again!

This all comes from internal Broadcom design specs.

AFAIK all Jericho+ platforms, I did not specify a particular model number when asking my question to development.

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: