Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS-XR and boot

simone.c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I would like to understand how to work with boot software in IOS XR. This is the configuration guide I'm checking: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k-r6-6/rom-monitor/configuration/guide/b-rommon-cg-asr9000-66x/b-rommon-cg-asr9000-66x_chapter_010.html#ID130.

* If I type show variables boot in IOS XR exec mode, I get the message: Failed to open file /dev/sda.

* If I go to sysadmin mode, I don't have the option to type config-register as suggested in the guide, in order to enter rommon:

config-register boot-mode rom-monitor location 0/RSP0/CPU0

Any hint? Maybe it's because I'm running IOS XR 64 bit? The guide says: 

Rommon is not supported in Cisco IOS XR 64 bit OS. Therefore, to set the console baud rate, do the following:

1. Roll back to Cisco IOS XR 32 bit OS.

What is that supposed to mean? I'm really lost, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Simone

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct, the boot variables are a rommon nomenclature and don't exist in 64-bit. There is a way to set baud rate but you need to go to 32-bit -> rommon and set the baud rate. We don't recommend changing those variables.

Sam

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct, the boot variables are a rommon nomenclature and don't exist in 64-bit. There is a way to set baud rate but you need to go to 32-bit -> rommon and set the baud rate. We don't recommend changing those variables.

Sam

Thanks Sam!

So if I would like to move from release 6.6 to 7.0, what are the steps?

1) bring the corresponding IOS XR 7.0.x package to the repository

2) install it

Is that correct?

And if the upgrade to 7.0 is successful, I will initially get IOS XR with just the basic package (called mini) and will have to install the extra packages belonging to release 7.0?

Simone

To upgrade in 32-bit or 64-bit you must upgrade every package that is active in the router, so if you have mini, mpls, and mcast installed then you must upgrade all of them at the same time to the new version, you can also add additional packages, SMUs, and SPs to your upgrade if you want.

Sam

Hi Sam,

not entirely clear to me. What is exactly the IOS XR software? Do I see it from show install repository? Is it asr9k-xr-6.6.2, is it the asr9k-mini-x64-6.6.2, or a combination of both?

If I go to the Software Download page of Cisco, and search for IOS XR software, release 7.0.2, I see couple of .tar files, one .iso and one .zip file. Assuming I want to upgrade from 6.6.2 to 7.0.2, which files do I need? How do I use them exactly on the device?

Thanks for clarifying,

Simone

Under each file it should say what they are, for example the zip file is for USB booting IIRC.

A good place to start is the release notes:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k-r7-0/general/release/notes/b-release-notes-asr9k-r702.html

It explains what each file contains.

Sam

Thanks again Sam,

I think I have a basic understanding now, will have to try this to fully understand it.

Last question I have: if 64bit IOS XR does not have rommon, how would I do a password recovery? The guide mention you need to go into rommon to recover your password.

Thanks,

Simone

While in 32-bit XR you can recover a password using rommon variables, with 64-bit you cannot. You can only re-image the router using iPXE or USB.

Sam