Helpful
Replies

IOS XR Release 5.3.4 for ASR9000 and CRS

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

[toc:faq]

IOS XR Release 5.3.4 Introduction

IOS XR release 5.3.4 is a supplemental Extended Maintenance Release for the ASR9000 and CRS platforms. The previous EMR 5.3.3 maintains the EMR status. IOS XR release 5.3.4 is the Cisco suggested software release for all ASR9000 and CRS deployments.

The driver for XR release 5.3.4 was to provide a leaner 5.3.x SW package for the older generation of ASR9000 and CRS cards because beyond XR release 5.3.x these older generation cards are not supported. The end goal is much more than that: XR release 5.3.4 enhances the quality of 5.3.3 release by:

• Hardening target areas:
    • A9K-VSM-500 infrastructure
    • BNG:
      • special attention to PWHE and Satellite as subscriber access interfaces
      • Geo-Redundancy
    • FPD
    • EnvMon on ASR9K
    • Infrastructure hardening on CRS
  • Integrating selected SW fixes:
    • Released 5.3.x Production SMUs
    • Selected customer found SW defects (bug scrub, early trial, 5.3.x deployments)
    • fixes for SW bugs found during 5.3.4 test cycle

XR Release 5.3.4 Content and Delivery

Feature content of XR release 5.3.4 is identical to 5.3.3. 

Early Trial

Early trial is closed with the posting of the release. 

64 Replies 64

hi Mohammad,

pleas verify the file size and md5sum on the FTP server and cross-check against the size+md5sum documented on CCO. It may be that the FTP transfer was executed as ascii instead of binary, or there was something else that corrupted the file on the FTP server.

regards,

/Aleksandar

Hi Smail

Hope this finds you well

I have managed to install 5.3.4 software code with 5.3.3 install-kit

Now I was looking for SMUs and there are no available SMUs for 5.3.4 as per Cisco website , so I cannot install 5.3.3 SMUs right?

Thanks

BR,

Mohammad

Well done Mohammad! You will find a SMU only if Cisco has found a bug and fix for it.

Thanks a lot Smail , well noted :)

BR,

Mohammad

Hey Mohammad,

We don't have support of ISM card in 534 code.

ISM card is End of life from HW prospective and End of SW support by now.

5.3.3 code is the last supported release of ISM operations.

We have VSM-500 card as an alternate to ISM-100 card on ASR9000 routers except ASR9001.

Thanks

Nitin Pabbi

Hi Nitin Thanks for your continuous support

I am just confused about the notification

Can I change the software to 5.3.4 and keep the ISM to 5.3.3?

Hey Mohammad,

You can use ISM on 5.3.3. code but if any new issue occur which require Cisco engineering support then it will not be available because last date for HW and SW support for bug fixes was Sep 9th 2016.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/eos-eol-notice-c51-734174.html

Thanks

Nitin Pabbi

Hi Smailmilak

Can you send me the link from which you got the End of SW?

Thanks

Here you go

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/eos-eol-notice-c51-734174.html

It should be clarified that only some, not all, tomahawk cards are supported, carefully check the documentation prior to a conversion.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/migration/guide/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit_chapter_011.html#id_33482

Can we except support for 5.3.4 (SMUs, service packs) for at least a year? We have a bunch of Trident line cards and we can not replace them so quickly.

You can expect Service Pack(SP) and SMU support till Aug 2018. This is why we want many customers on 5.3.4. 

That is fantastic. Good job from you guys.

eric.follos
Level 1
Level 1

What is the approximte compressed/uncompressed size of 5.3.4 by comparison to 5.3.3?  Will SMUs created for 5.3.3 be integrated into 5.3.4 release or will they become new copies (5.3.4 SMUs).

Each 5.3.4 pie will be very similar in size to the corresponding 5.3.3 pie.

All the 5.3.3 SMUs (plus many more selected fixes) are already integrated in the 5.3.4. We will continue pulling 5.3.3 SMUs into 5.3.4 until we're close to 5.3.4 FCS, at which point we'll have to close on the 5.3.4 content.