Helpful
Replies

IOS XR Release 5.3.4 for ASR9000 and CRS

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

[toc:faq]

IOS XR Release 5.3.4 Introduction

IOS XR release 5.3.4 is a supplemental Extended Maintenance Release for the ASR9000 and CRS platforms. The previous EMR 5.3.3 maintains the EMR status. IOS XR release 5.3.4 is the Cisco suggested software release for all ASR9000 and CRS deployments.

The driver for XR release 5.3.4 was to provide a leaner 5.3.x SW package for the older generation of ASR9000 and CRS cards because beyond XR release 5.3.x these older generation cards are not supported. The end goal is much more than that: XR release 5.3.4 enhances the quality of 5.3.3 release by:

• Hardening target areas:
    • A9K-VSM-500 infrastructure
    • BNG:
      • special attention to PWHE and Satellite as subscriber access interfaces
      • Geo-Redundancy
    • FPD
    • EnvMon on ASR9K
    • Infrastructure hardening on CRS
  • Integrating selected SW fixes:
    • Released 5.3.x Production SMUs
    • Selected customer found SW defects (bug scrub, early trial, 5.3.x deployments)
    • fixes for SW bugs found during 5.3.4 test cycle

XR Release 5.3.4 Content and Delivery

Feature content of XR release 5.3.4 is identical to 5.3.3. 

Early Trial

Early trial is closed with the posting of the release. 

64 Replies 64

Hi Aleksandar,

Does "older generation" includes only Trident or also Typhoon? What about RSP440 support in the newer generation of releases?

Florian

hi Florian,

I was referring to all Trident line cards, A9K-RSP-4G, A9K-RSP-8G and A9K-ISM-100. I didn't want to list them explicitly in the article because I wanted to keep the focus on the 5.3.4 release itself. EoS bulletin is available on cisco.com for each of these cards. Typhoon line cards and RSP440/RP1 are still very much supported and will remain for a long time.

I hope this clarifies.

Regards,

/Aleksandar

Hi Aleksandar,

I was notified at Cisco Live that the new 64 bit architecture with 6.1.1 will only support the RSP880, hence the question about future RSP440 support.

Regards,

Florian

hi Florian,

that is correct, the 64-bit IOS XR (aka eXR) supports only Tomahawk line cards and corresponding RSP/RP and fabric cards. The support for Typhoon and RSP440/RP1 continues on 32-bit IOS XR (aka Classic XR).

Regards,

/Aleksandar

So there will be a 32 bit 6.1.1 and a 64 bit 6.1.1?

Regards,

Florian

yes, they will live in parallel for foreseeable future.

Regards,

/Aleksandar

I foresee confusion.  I would rather see 6.x.x (aka 64bit XR or eXR), and take the 32bit code (classic XR) without trident support to 7.x.x.  Next major release of eXR would then get numbered 8.x.x, and so forth.

Is it too late?

ERM

Bitwrangler for FirstLight Fiber Corp

hi Evan,

since most of the source code is the same on 32-bit and 64-bit version, we have decided to have a single release train with a 32-bit and 64-bit pie. We are working on a solution that would help you navigate through bugfixes/enhancements that apply only to one of the two flavours.

Please stay tuned!

regards,

/Aleksandar

Hi

I can see 5.3.4 version has been released and available to be downloaded , I have an issue with 40G ER SFP which according to my readings will be supported in 6.1.1

My question is , does the 5.3.4 version supports this SFP ? or should I wait for 6.1.1 and when it will be released ?

Thanks in advance

BR,

Mohammad

hi Mohammad,

the purpose of XR release 5.3.4 was to harden the existing code, limited to SW features and HW already supported in release 5.3.3.

XR release 6.1.1 is not available for download. Release 6.1.2 should be available in November this year. It will include support for the QSFP-40G-ER4.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

/Aleksandar

Thanks a lot Aleksandar , fair enough

BR,

Mohammad

Dear Aleksandar

Hope this finds you well

I got a notification that the asr9k-ism-cgv6-install-kit.5.3.4.00.sh for the ASR9006 router ,but it's not listed on Cisco website

BR,

Mohammad

Hi Mohammad,

I think it's because that it's going EOS. You can use 5.3.3, no problem but a possible bug could be an issue for us. We have four ISM-100 btw. Time to move to VSM-500.

End of SW Maintenance Releases Date:
HW

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

September 9, 2016

Hi

Thanks for the reply

So , ISM install kit 5.3.4 is not available? I already informed my customer :(

Can I use 5.3.4 software with 5.3.3 ISM install kit ?!

BR,

Mohammad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: