Views
Helpful
Replies

Licens for NAT44, NAT64, Dual Stack on ASR9000 Series

na592
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All expert and Cisco.

I have questions about Carrier Grade Nat feature on ASR9000.

We have ASR9k chassis as below and have plan to realize NAT44, NAT64, Dual Stack ip structure on the chassis.

But when i check licene information on the web site, i couldn't totally understand what kind of license i have to prepare or purchase. 

If you are answering on these, it will be very helpful for me.

Thanks All.

- Questions -

1. I need to buy VSM or ISM hareware?  Is it essential?

2. Can i use basic feature of NAT44,NAT64,Dual Stack with RSP without hardware(VSM or ISM)?

3. If i have to buy hareware, which hardware do you recommand (vsm or ism)?

4. What kind of license do i have to buy for NAT44 from VSM?

5. What kind of license do i have to buy for NAT64 from VSM?

6. What kind of license do i have to buy for Dual Stack from VSM?

7. What kind of license do i have to buy for NAT44 from ISM?

8. What kind of license do i have to buy for NAT64 from ISM?

9. What kind of license do i have to buy for Dual Stack from ISM?

10. We are using Linceard Service Card(A9K-MOD160-SE) as below. Do i need to buy also "A9K-M160-V6-INLN" License?

11. If i have to buy license as above, what is the exact function of this license "A9K-M160-V6-INLN"?

-- Our System specification for your information--

1. Chassis : ASR-9010 Chassis
2. OS : XR-A9K-PX-05.01
3. RSP : A9K-RSP440-SE
4. Linceard Service : A9K-MOD160-SE
5. L3 VPN License : A9K-MOD160-AIP-SE
6. VRF LC License : A9K-IVRF-LIC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alexei Kiritchenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. I need to buy VSM or ISM hareware?  Is it essential?
A. Yes, it is essential. 

2. Can i use basic feature of NAT44,NAT64,Dual Stack with RSP without hardware(VSM or ISM)?
A. No, ASR9k does not support SW NAT and hence dedicated HW is required.

3. If i have to buy hardware, which hardware do you recommand (vsm or ism)?
A. VSM is the next generation CGN card but it supports NAT44 yet.   NAT64 is expected to be supported since 5.3.0 on VSM (Jan/Feb 2015)

A9K-XLAT-LIC-5M

A. A9K-CGN-LIC-5M

A. A9K-NAT64-LIC-5M

A. A9K-DSLT-LIC-5M

10. We are using Linceard Service Card(A9K-MOD160-SE) as below. Do i need to buy also "A9K-M160-V6-INLN" License?
11. If i have to buy license as above, what is the exact function of this license "A9K-M160-V6-INLN"?
A. Inline improves performance by out tasking forwarding functionality to a LC. The Inline license only applies to the 6RD, MAP-E & MAP-T features. ISM is still required.

Regards,
/A

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Alexei Kiritchenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. I need to buy VSM or ISM hareware?  Is it essential?
A. Yes, it is essential. 

A. No, ASR9k does not support SW NAT and hence dedicated HW is required.

3. If i have to buy hardware, which hardware do you recommand (vsm or ism)?
A. VSM is the next generation CGN card but it supports NAT44 yet.   NAT64 is expected to be supported since 5.3.0 on VSM (Jan/Feb 2015)

A9K-XLAT-LIC-5M

A. A9K-CGN-LIC-5M

A. A9K-NAT64-LIC-5M

A. A9K-DSLT-LIC-5M

A. Inline improves performance by out tasking forwarding functionality to a LC. The Inline license only applies to the 6RD, MAP-E & MAP-T features. ISM is still required.

Regards,
/A

Dear Akiritch

First of all, really thanks for your feedback.

Actually i have further questions regarding CGN.

1. related to question number "10" like above, is there any limitation for configuration dual stack ip configuration(not ds-lite) on asr9k? i mean just configuring two kind of ips (ipv4 and ipv6 both)to the interfaces.

2. also related to question number "10" like above, as i know, this licens(A9K-M160-V6-INLN) is for mainly to configure stateless NAT64.
Let's assume that i already have this license(A9K-NAT64-LIC-5M) with ISM module.

In this case, do i need to buy "A9K-M160-V6-INLN" license also essentially?

Thanks Regards.

1. related to question number "10" like above, is there any limitation for configuration dual stack ip configuration(not ds-lite) on asr9k? i mean just configuring two kind of ips (ipv4 and ipv6 both)to the interfaces.

A. No, licence is not needed for it.

2. also related to question number "10" like above, as i know, this licens(A9K-M160-V6-INLN) is for mainly to configure stateless NAT64.

Let's assume that i already have this license(A9K-NAT64-LIC-5M) with ISM module.

In this case, do i need to buy "A9K-M160-V6-INLN" license also essentially?

A. A9K-NAT64-LIC-5M would be mandatory one and A9K-M160-V6-INLN optional in case we use MOD160 for inline NAT assistance. I am not sure about the this INLN usage details thought and let somebody else to comment on it. 

Or you may check it with your local cisco sales department. 

The 2 questions were not answered. Any comment?

5. What kind of license do i have to buy for NAT64 from VSM?

6. What kind of license do i have to buy for Dual Stack from VSM?

Hi,

this one
A9K-XLAT-LIC-5M
CGN License Unit for 5 Million translations Stateful NAT 5M Translation License for VSM (NAT44, NAT64 & DS-Lite)

Is "A9K-24XT-V6-INLN"required for DS-Lite support on the line card(A9K-24X10GE-TR) in addition to A9K-XLAT-LIC-5M for VSM?

Hi,

please check out this link 

It's an old post that I have created and I got some useful answers.

"To support inline Stateless CGN (MAP-T, MAP-E & 6RD), also linecards need a CGv6 license (eg. MOD80 -TR/-SE needs  A9K-M80-V6-INLN). For this, the ISM is still needed in the chassis, but  the traffic don't pass through it anymore, so no additional session  licenses are required."