Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixing 100GE and nx 10GE between NCS5500 and CRS platform

Marek Manik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

at some point, I'll need to mix 100GE and Nx 10GE links between certain routers (mainly NCS-5500 and CRS-X). These links are backbone links which will carry, IPv4,IPv6 and MPLS traffic (L3VPN,L2VPN)

What are the options for ensuring that the traffic will be proportionally balance the traffic among the link with different speed?

I can see 2 option:

1) bundle all links into LAG/LACP and let the LAG proportionally distribute the load (don't remember how it is called on Cisco, but Juniper call it weighted ECMP)

2) using UCMP (Unequal Cost Mulipath) for ISIS. I bit struggle with this feature. It reminds me EIGRP. In my case I want to balance the traffic between 2 directly connected routers (which will have mix of 10GE/100GE) backbone links. How should I configure the routers to properly balance the traffic using UCMP? For example If, i'll have 1x 100GE and 15x 10GE, how should i configure the router? I want to use the same ISIS metric on all backbone links. Is it necessary configure variance in this case? How about ISIS weight?

Does anybody already implemented such thing?

suggestions/advises are more than welcome :-)

thnx

Marek

2 Replies 2

LaloRam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Marek,

Are you using LDP or MPLS-TE to exchange labels?

Hi,

sorry for my late reply. I was on vacation.

I will need to use both of them. Those links will carry IPv4/IPv6 Internet traffic and also L2VPN/L3VPN traffic. For some L2VPNs I have to use only 100GE link. For this kind of requirement I want to use RSVP-TE tunnel and bind it to L2VPN pw-class with "fallback disable" option. Such L2VPN will be up only in case 100GE link will be up.

Marek