Helpful
Replies

[ncs5k] 18H+18F LC maximum routes

Carlos A. Silva
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Quick question regarding the 18H+18F LC maximum routes. Datasheet says:

FIB scale up 256K IPv4 or 64K IPv6 routes (FIB scale up to 1M IPv4 routes if combined with memory below)
  On-chip tables for 750K IPv4 host routes, MAC, and MPLS labels
Say I want to inject all eBGP routes, all /24s, basically 1M prefixes. Is there anything I  need to configure on the NCS5500, or will it just accept all routes and adjust?
Thanks,
c.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mivens
Level 1
Level 1

Take a look at the Cisco Live presentation BRKSPG-2900.

There are two databases that can store the routes, the LPM which has worst-case capacity for 256K prefixes and the LEM (700K entries).

There are two modes which govern which prefixes are stored in the LEM database: host-optimised and internet-optimised.

For your specific example on a non e-TCAM card, I believe /24s are stored in the LEM in both modes. But if you had a large number of /20s for example, then you'd want the linecards in internet-optimised mode. This would mean less space for MAC addresses, MPLS labels and IPv4 host prefixes.

The command is

hw-module fib ipv4 scale internet-optimized

You can check LEM resources with the command

show controllers npu resources all loction <linecard>

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

All the scaling numbers are unidimensional, I suggest you test it with the intended setup

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::

adam

mivens
Level 1
Level 1

Take a look at the Cisco Live presentation BRKSPG-2900.

There are two databases that can store the routes, the LPM which has worst-case capacity for 256K prefixes and the LEM (700K entries).

There are two modes which govern which prefixes are stored in the LEM database: host-optimised and internet-optimised.

For your specific example on a non e-TCAM card, I believe /24s are stored in the LEM in both modes. But if you had a large number of /20s for example, then you'd want the linecards in internet-optimised mode. This would mean less space for MAC addresses, MPLS labels and IPv4 host prefixes.

The command is

hw-module fib ipv4 scale internet-optimized

You can check LEM resources with the command

show controllers npu resources all loction <linecard>

Carlos A. Silva
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you very much. Got the presentation already and will give it a look.