Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between pppoe subscribers

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

My pppoe subscribers on asr9k can not ping each other, I want to know your idea ?

From the routing perspective everything is ok, is there any spesific command to force pppoe subscribers to ping each other ?

Tural

4 Replies 4

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tural,

this is blocked by design. Most ISPs consider this to be a security issue.

You can change the behaviour by enabling the local proxy arp. You would also have to make sure the subnet on the loopback (I presume you are using ip unnumbered) covers all the subscriber ip addresses, otherwise local proxy arp won't be triggered.

hope this helps,

Aleksandar

The local proxy arp would work for IPoE subs, but since this is PPPoE this should work by default.

Is there an ACL applied? I just verified to make sure, but pppoe subs can ping each other in 524.

so we may need to do some packet troubleshooting. Or maybe the CPE blocks ICMP requests (very common).

cheers!

xander

Hi Both,

I am using 5.3.0 an there is no any acl aplied, what is internerting is that even from bras i can not ping my connected pppoe subscribers throught adsl modems, but when i configure pppoe on my pc, it is pinged from bras routers.

Your ideas?

Tural

it osunds like there is a firewall that blocks icmp which is not uncommon, many windows also by default limit a ping me.

I dont think you have an issue here, but just a cpe or client side issue that applies "security" blocking icmp (and likely also fragments)

xander