Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Enthusiast

RSP-880 (32-bit) to RSP5 (64-bit) upgrade

Is there a guide to upgrading between the RSP-880 and RSP5 line cards?

We are preparing to bring the chassis completely down and install the RSP5s and then copy the config over but I'm concerned about differences in the configs between the two OSes. I know some of the show commands are different.

UPDATE -- Right after I posted this, I discovered a resource:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/migration/guide/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit/b-migration-to-ios-xr-64-bit_chapter_011.html

We are currently running the 32-bit OS on our RSP880s. Is the preferred upgrade path to upgrade the RSP880s to the 64-bit OS and then swap the cards to the RSP5s?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Re: RSP-880 (32-bit) to RSP5 (64-bit) upgrade

You can upgrade to 64-bits but I don't see a need to, all you really need to do is iPXE boot the RSP5s (if not running any OS yet), install the optional packages (for 64-bit) and then in config mode 'load' the config from usb or copy the file to the router and apply it. You shouldn't have a problem migrating the config from 32-bit to 64-bit, very few commands were changed, if for some reason something doesn't apply the commit will fail and you can check 'show config failed' to see why, verify you have all the packages needed installed, try commit best-effort to apply everything that didn't fail and then figure out why something failed. But again I don't think you will run into an issue so long as you have installed the right packages.

Sam

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Re: RSP-880 (32-bit) to RSP5 (64-bit) upgrade

You can upgrade to 64-bits but I don't see a need to, all you really need to do is iPXE boot the RSP5s (if not running any OS yet), install the optional packages (for 64-bit) and then in config mode 'load' the config from usb or copy the file to the router and apply it. You shouldn't have a problem migrating the config from 32-bit to 64-bit, very few commands were changed, if for some reason something doesn't apply the commit will fail and you can check 'show config failed' to see why, verify you have all the packages needed installed, try commit best-effort to apply everything that didn't fail and then figure out why something failed. But again I don't think you will run into an issue so long as you have installed the right packages.

Sam

View solution in original post

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad

Cisco COVID-19 Survey

This widget could not be displayed.