Views
Helpful
Replies

SFC2 Fabric

Peyman Zadmehr
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

I am searching about different types of SFC for ASR99K. In the datasheet it was mentioned this module provides 230Gbps Fabric Capacity and SFC3 provides 600Gbps...

There are some questions here:

1- Is this value half-duplex or Full-Duplex? I mean does this phrase means SFC2 provides 230Gbps in TX and 230Gbps is RX directions or I must divide this value into half for having the actual value of throughput in each direction?

2- If I install 8x100GE-SE and I want to have Full Rate on in both directions of Traffic on all ports then I cannot use SFC2 right? Consider this approach:

I Install 7xSFC2 in the box so I will have 6+1 redundancy.(I need redundancy!!!) This 6 modules provides 690Gbps Full duplex to each slot. If I want to use 8x100GE in Line rate mode then I need to have 800Gbps in Fabric Full duplex mode so I cannot have this value with seven SFC2. 

If I use 4x100GE then I wont have any issue since 400Gbps Fabric Capacity is needed and these seven modules provides 690Gbps that covers that need...

Thank you in advanced..

Peyman

Is this assumption correct?

4 Replies 4

tkarnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Peyman,

1. its full dupex

2. 5x SFC2 will provide full bandwidth but no redundancy

page 32 explains the matrix in a much better way

"Tomahawk System per Slot Fabric Bandwidth"

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2016/pdf/BRKARC-2003.pdf

Hi

Regarding Answer#1 So 230Gbps is for RX and 230Gbps for TX, This means for 9912 and 7xSFC2, we will have 6x230Gbps = 1.38Tbps Fabric  Capacity on RX and 1.38Tbps on TX "On Each Slot "plus one SFC for Redundancy. Is This correct?

In that case we can install 8x100GE on the all slots with Line Rate on all ports without any issue on Fabric capacity in RX and TX..

You know Cisco terms for capacity always confuses me. Sometimes it means Half-Duplex(Specially in Nexus Datasheets) and sometimes it means full Duplex(Same as here) ;)

Thank you

Hi Peyman,

yes, it can be confusing. we have both 5 fabric line cards and 7 fabric line cards.

6+1 with a 7 fabric 9912 you will have full redundancy and full throughput on a 8x100G card

side 32 also confirms this combination

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2016/pdf/BRKARC-2003.pdf

Thanks!

Hi 

thank you for the reply, so based on what you said in two pervious posts all of my assumptions is correct.

Thank you