Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The 'AND' Logic in RPL ?

Hi,

i came across a situation which gets me to ask about a detail of RPL logic which is deceiving me.

Im mostly running asr9k with 5.1.3 or 5.2.4 in the lab although I doubt my query is platform specific

So, If I apply RPL inbound on a BGP session upstream from where I receive a number of prefixes including default, how does XR/RPL handle the following ?

if destination in (1.0.0.0/24) and destination in (2.0.0.0/24) then
pass

does the above even make sense logically, as in does the RPL examine one prefix at a time in the BGP feed ?  If so 1.0.0.0/24 can never be 2.0.0.0/24, unless the RPL says I will accept 1.0.0.0/24 since I also have 2.0.0.0/24 being advertised to me via BGP from this same peer ?

Quick test in the lab actually accepts 1.0.0.0/24 and installs it in FIB, so Im a little bit confused about the logic, since even if the parser allowed commit for something seeming illogical, XR is also generally a normally closed, deny all approach, as opposed to IOS, so I would have expected not to see prefix in FIB, but Im clearly missing something

cheers

Mark

3 Replies 3

AARON WEINTRAUB
Level 1
Level 1

RPL should be parsed a route element at a time, of the 25k routes you might get from a peer, they should never interact with one another in the RPL.  I think that if you have just the RPL above you have posted and the route 1.0.0.0/24 gets entered into the RIB, I think that is an error/bug.  I don't see anything wrong particularly with your RPL, because there's nothing wrong with calling out different prefix-sets in different locations.  I.e., RPL towards peer A, use prefix-set 1 and 2, RPL towards peer B, use prefix-set 2 and 3.  Obviously using two prefix-sets that have no intersecting elements in an AND match is a little bit absurd and unlikely to appear in real life, but that's irrelevant to how it should behave.

thanks for your feedback Aaron

I was trying to build some logic around "accept prefix (1) if prefix (2) is present"

I agree that this would make no sense if the RPL is processed prefix at at time from the BGP peer, which was my suspicion, but was worth a shot, especially since prefix was accepted in the lab !

thanks

Mark

You might look into some other elements though - like 'rib-has-route' would enable the RPL to look through the entire rib as an AND condition to look for a route, but I don't know of a way to constrain that element to routes from a certain peer only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: