Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade procedure for IOS XR 3.8.2 to 4.2.x

rpatnaik
Level 1
Level 1

To Whom it May Concern,

There is discussion within my company that we should forgo moving to a 4.0.x stream and go directly to 4.2.x (probably 3).  I have some concerns with doing this.

1) 3.8.2 - still used the "p" train of code and from what I read if you have to rollback IOS XR images px-px and p-p is supported but not px-p

2) 4G Flash disk partitioning - pre 4.0 the partitions were 2G/2G and FAT 16 where in 4+ they need to be re-partitioned to 3.5 G to .5

3) We are considering baking flash disks with the 4.2.x code.  Has anyone ever tried using this method or are you all using TurboBoot.

If someone could provide some insight or other items I might be missing let me know.

Thanks,
Rashmi

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rashmi,

Not sure which platform or RP you are using from your post, but I can answer some of your questions in general terms.

Upgrading from 3.8.2 to 4.2.x is best with either pre-baking the images or a Turboboot depending on your situation. Upgrading from CLI would require multiple upgrades and a lot more time.

1. That is very true, if you upgrade from p to px you cannot do a rollback but that is only if you do this with install commands. Baking images means additional flash disks, so if you need to do a rollback you can always go back to the old flash disk. A Turboboot would erase the contents of your current flash disk (format attribute in ROMMON) and would essential be a new install, meaning no rollback option.

2. Yes, 3.8.2 must use FAT16 and for a release such as 4.2.x it can not be used. You are correct on the partitioning as well.

3. I touched on this above. I have done the Turboboots myself and seem to be faster in the new releases, or at least on the new RP's. Some others that watch this forum have experience with the baking option. Again the option you choose depends on what you have available, time, and other factors.

Regards,

Sam

View solution in original post

Hi Rashmi, Sam,

a few comments,

- point 1: rollback from px to p isn't possible, that's why prestaging disk to the target version with the proper file format and partition (4.2.3-px with FAT32 3.5/0.5) and then moving the installing the new disk in disk0: slot and moving the 3.8.2 disk from disk0: to disk1: ----> if you need to rollback, you'll simply have to copy some files in bootflash and boot the system from disk1:

- point 2: starting from rommon 1.52 (which was linked to IOS XR 3.8.2, but it's not necessary), you support FAT32 and the partition 3.5/0.5

- point 3: the prestage approach is definitely a good one for you particular case. You'll need to pay attention copying the MBI image from your prestage disk to bootflash: volume then go to rommon, swap the disk and boot the proper MBI.

This has been done on the biggest deployments of CRS in the world successfully.

Cheers,

N.

Hi Rash,

in the case of the legacy RP, I've been always a bit reluctant to use turboboot because:

- it's slow and implies a long maintenance window

- it necessitates to add the remaining packages manually and if you plan to install a reload SMU on top of your packages, it will trigger another reload and after this you'll have to restore the configuration.

- rollback isn't possible and means another turboboot in the other direction

Now said, if these points are not blocking, it's a perfectly viable solution.

In the case of the PRP, you are right, we don't have any removable volume in it, but keep in mind that the PRP is only supported since 4.0.x so the question 3.8 --> 4.2 is not a problem.

If you need to upgrade the PRP, then you'll start from 4.0 at the earliest and in that case, the PIE upgrade is definitely the way to go.

Cheers,

N.

10 Replies 10

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rashmi,

Not sure which platform or RP you are using from your post, but I can answer some of your questions in general terms.

Upgrading from 3.8.2 to 4.2.x is best with either pre-baking the images or a Turboboot depending on your situation. Upgrading from CLI would require multiple upgrades and a lot more time.

1. That is very true, if you upgrade from p to px you cannot do a rollback but that is only if you do this with install commands. Baking images means additional flash disks, so if you need to do a rollback you can always go back to the old flash disk. A Turboboot would erase the contents of your current flash disk (format attribute in ROMMON) and would essential be a new install, meaning no rollback option.

2. Yes, 3.8.2 must use FAT16 and for a release such as 4.2.x it can not be used. You are correct on the partitioning as well.

3. I touched on this above. I have done the Turboboots myself and seem to be faster in the new releases, or at least on the new RP's. Some others that watch this forum have experience with the baking option. Again the option you choose depends on what you have available, time, and other factors.

Regards,

Sam

Hi Rashmi, Sam,

a few comments,

- point 1: rollback from px to p isn't possible, that's why prestaging disk to the target version with the proper file format and partition (4.2.3-px with FAT32 3.5/0.5) and then moving the installing the new disk in disk0: slot and moving the 3.8.2 disk from disk0: to disk1: ----> if you need to rollback, you'll simply have to copy some files in bootflash and boot the system from disk1:

- point 2: starting from rommon 1.52 (which was linked to IOS XR 3.8.2, but it's not necessary), you support FAT32 and the partition 3.5/0.5

- point 3: the prestage approach is definitely a good one for you particular case. You'll need to pay attention copying the MBI image from your prestage disk to bootflash: volume then go to rommon, swap the disk and boot the proper MBI.

This has been done on the biggest deployments of CRS in the world successfully.

Cheers,

N.

rpatnaik
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Sam and Nicolas,

I have tried and successfully replicated teh pre-baked disk option. Although in theory it seems to be easy I find it difficult explaining the nuances to Operations.  I'd have rather preferred the Turboboot option.  This option leads to additional requirements for having the mgmt Ethernet ports on the RP on the same subnet as the TFTP server.

Nicolas answered some of my concerns about loading the .vm into the bootflash of the "boot disk".  You'd be surprised as how concerning the swapping of PCMCIA flash disks are for me. Nevertheless, the information provided matches what I had suspected.  Btw, the platform was CRS-1 and running RP's.

I'd also need to perform this for CRS-3 PRP's but there are no removable or readily accessible PCMCIA cards. Any advice guys.

Thanks,
Rash

Hi Rash,

in the case of the legacy RP, I've been always a bit reluctant to use turboboot because:

- it's slow and implies a long maintenance window

- it necessitates to add the remaining packages manually and if you plan to install a reload SMU on top of your packages, it will trigger another reload and after this you'll have to restore the configuration.

- rollback isn't possible and means another turboboot in the other direction

Now said, if these points are not blocking, it's a perfectly viable solution.

In the case of the PRP, you are right, we don't have any removable volume in it, but keep in mind that the PRP is only supported since 4.0.x so the question 3.8 --> 4.2 is not a problem.

If you need to upgrade the PRP, then you'll start from 4.0 at the earliest and in that case, the PIE upgrade is definitely the way to go.

Cheers,

N.

Hi,

Could you help me with the issue after upgrade from 4.2.0 to 4.2.3

After upgrade it is impossible to activate package.

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:iskra-asr9010(admin)#install verify packages repair location 0/RSP1/CPU0
Thu Oct 18 12:08:31.172 MSK
Install operation 121 '(admin) install verify packages repair location 0/RSP1/CPU0' started by user
'a.adashkevich' via CLI at 12:08:31 MSK Thu Oct 18 2012.
The install operation will continue asynchronously.
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:iskra-asr9010(admin)#Info: This operation can take up to 2 minutes per package be
ing verified. Please be patient.
Info: 0/RSP1/CPU0 [RP] [SDR: Owner]
Info: meta-data: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-ce-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-cpp-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-scfclient-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-diags-supp-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-fwding-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3: [ERROR] Detected anomalies.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/lib/libether_ctrl_mgmt_netio.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0xF10402/startup/vic_2090.startup: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x380261/lib/libplatform_dev_inst.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x380261/bin/test_np_lc_6tph_36p_10ge: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x380261/lib/vkg_nplib.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x230231/lib/vkg_nplib.dll: exists with unexpected file
Info: size.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x3A0263/lib/libplatform_dev_inst.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x3A0263/lib/vkg_nplib.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0xF10402/lib/libplatform_dev_inst.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0xF10402/lib/vkg_nplib.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/dp83640_test: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/lib/lib_dp83640_ptp_api.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/lib/libptp_ctrlr_platform.dll: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_debug_cmd.parser: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_debug_link.parser: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_show_cmd.parser: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_show_link.parser: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_show_trace_cmd.parser: does not
Info: exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/syncctrl: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/syncctrl.parser: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/startup/syncctrl.startup: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/syncctrl_clear: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/syncctrl_debug_cmds.parser: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/syncctrl_show: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100309/bin/canb_fc_upg_agt: does not exist.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100309/startup/canb_fc_upg_agt.startup: does not exist.
Info: /install/iosxr-ce-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-diags-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-routing-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-fwding-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-infra-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-ce-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-cpp-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-scfclient-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-diags-supp-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-fwding-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-base-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-ce-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-diags-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-routing-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-fwding-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-infra-4.2.0: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/asr9k-mcast-supp-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: /install/iosxr-mcast-4.2.3: [SUCCESS] Verification Successful.
Info: Verification Summary:
Info: 0/RSP1/CPU0: ERROR. Anomalies found.
Info: The system is repairable.
Info: Repair begins
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3 on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair successful.
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/lib/libether_ctrl_mgmt_netio.dll on 0/RSP1
Info: Repair failed: 'Install Manager' detected the 'warning' condition 'LWM Error': Bad
Info: file descriptor
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0xF10402/startup/vic_2090.startup on 0/RSP1/CPU0
Info: Repair failed: 'Install Manager' detected the 'warning' condition 'LWM Error': Bad
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x380261/lib/libplatform_dev_inst.dll on 0/RSP1/
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x380261/bin/test_np_lc_6tph_36p_10ge on 0/RSP1/
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x380261/lib/vkg_nplib.dll on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x230231/lib/vkg_nplib.dll on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x3A0263/lib/libplatform_dev_inst.dll on 0/RSP1/
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0x3A0263/lib/vkg_nplib.dll on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0xF10402/lib/libplatform_dev_inst.dll on 0/RSP1/
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/lc/0xF10402/lib/vkg_nplib.dll on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/dp83640_test on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/lib/lib_dp83640_ptp_api.dll on 0/RSP1/CPU0
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/lib/libptp_ctrlr_platform.dll on 0/RSP1/CP
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_debug_cmd.parser on 0/RSP1/C
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_debug_link.parser on 0/RSP1/
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_show_cmd.parser on 0/RSP1/CP
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_show_link.parser on 0/RSP1/C
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/ptp_pd_show_trace_cmd.parser on 0/R
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/syncctrl on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/syncctrl.parser on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/startup/syncctrl.startup on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/syncctrl_clear on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/parser/syncctrl_debug_cmds.parser on 0/RSP
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100401/bin/syncctrl_show on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100309/bin/canb_fc_upg_agt on 0/RSP1/CPU0...
Info: Repair asr9k-base-4.2.3/0x100309/startup/canb_fc_upg_agt.startup on 0/RSP1/
Info: Repair ends
Install operation 121 completed successfully at 12:09:08 MSK Thu Oct 18 2012.

Regards,

Konstantin.

Hi Konstantin,
I have unfortunately not tried the upgrade procedure from 4.2.0 to 4.2.3.  Can you supply the following command?

Show install active summary

I assume that the base PIE is corrupted or failed in the activation or Add portion.  Did you do a PIE Upgrade or did you simply try the turboboot process and failed on that particular PIE.  I have no experience with the PIE Upgrade procedure.

Perhaps some of the other peers/collegues who assisted me in advice may have some further details for you.  If this is a lab then great you can play around. If it is a production environment you may want to reach out to your HTTS or HTE contact asap.

I hope this helps.  We are waiting for later this year before we start looking at 4.2.3 in the lab.  Our current base is a mix of 3.8.2 + SMU and 4.0.3 + SMU.

Cheers
Rash

Hi Konstantin,

It appears that you may have triggered CSCua50217. This happens when you upgrade from 4.2.0 to a later 4.2 release without the preventive SMU; it's fixed only by doing a fresh IOS-XR installation using turboboot. You may be able to run in this state, but at the very least you will be unable to sync in a new RSP if needed.

Hi Charles, Rash,

Thank you for reply.

I think so that user didn't install all SMU before the upgrade.

We have two RSP. What would be the best for us?

Should we have to wait 4.2(3.99)I 4.3(2.99)I ?

Someone knows when it will be reachable?

asr9010#show install active summary

Wed Oct 31 09:45:15.723

Active Packages:

disk0:asr9k-mini-px-4.2.3

Regards,

Konstantin.

hi Konstantin,

You will want to stay with 4.2.3 FCS as this is an ASR9K.

If you follow the upgrade instructions as documented - the upgrade should work ok. The upgrade procedures list the SMU's required. They can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/index.html

regards,

David

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

We recovered ASR9k by turboboot. And now everything is ok.

Verification Summary:
0/1/CPU0: SUCCESSFUL. No anomalies found.
0/4/CPU0: SUCCESSFUL. No anomalies found.
0/0/CPU0: SUCCESSFUL. No anomalies found.
0/5/CPU0: SUCCESSFUL. No anomalies found.
0/3/CPU0: SUCCESSFUL. No anomalies found.
0/RSP1/CPU0: SUCCESSFUL. No anomalies found.
0/RSP0/CPU0: SUCCESSFUL. No anomalies found.
The system needs no repair.

Regards,

Konstantin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: