cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fedora 27 and libydk installation issues

jbritt
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot install the ydk without installing libydk. However I cannot install the libydk rpm as it asks for the epel-release repository. In Fedora the epel-release repository doesn't exist because everything within that repository is in the default repository for Fedora. Can I compile libydk from source or get an RPM that doesn't have the epel-release requirement?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jbritt
Level 1
Level 1

My apologies I just realized I could remove the epel-release requirement myself. I used rpmrebuild to modify the requirements list and removed that entry. I was able to successfully install the libydk afterwards and then install ydk-py with pip3 install ydk.

So for Fedora the install process looks like this:

# Install all required prereqs for ydk

sudo dnf install libssh-devel libxml2-devel libxslt-devel pcre-devel cmake gcc-c++ python3-devel libcurl-devel clang

# download libydk

wget https://devhub.cisco.com/artifactory/rpm-ydk/0.7.0/libydk-0.7.0-1.x86_64.rpm

# Install rpm requirement editing tool

sudo dnf install rpmrebuild

# Edit RPM and remove EPEL-RELEASE

rpmrebuild -e -p libydk-0.7.0-1.x86_64.rpm

- delete "Requires:      epel-release" and save

- 'y' to continue

cd /home/[user]/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64

# run modified RPM

sudo dnf install libydk-0.7.0-1.x86_64.rpm

# Install ydk-py

[sudo] pip3 install ydk

I wasn't able to find this documented anywhere, please correct me if I'm wrong.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

jbritt
Level 1
Level 1

My apologies I just realized I could remove the epel-release requirement myself. I used rpmrebuild to modify the requirements list and removed that entry. I was able to successfully install the libydk afterwards and then install ydk-py with pip3 install ydk.

So for Fedora the install process looks like this:

# Install all required prereqs for ydk

sudo dnf install libssh-devel libxml2-devel libxslt-devel pcre-devel cmake gcc-c++ python3-devel libcurl-devel clang

# download libydk

wget https://devhub.cisco.com/artifactory/rpm-ydk/0.7.0/libydk-0.7.0-1.x86_64.rpm

# Install rpm requirement editing tool

sudo dnf install rpmrebuild

# Edit RPM and remove EPEL-RELEASE

rpmrebuild -e -p libydk-0.7.0-1.x86_64.rpm

- delete "Requires:      epel-release" and save

- 'y' to continue

cd /home/[user]/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64

# run modified RPM

sudo dnf install libydk-0.7.0-1.x86_64.rpm

# Install ydk-py

[sudo] pip3 install ydk

I wasn't able to find this documented anywhere, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the update! We could update the installation document with this. Let me know in case of any further issues.

Yes, updating the documentation would be great. I have had no issues since then.

Johan Marcusson
Level 4
Level 4

I just installed the other depedencies for the rpm by hand and then installed the libydk rpm with --nodeps, but I have another issue after the installation. I've created a virtualenv and successfully installed ydk with pip, pip list output:

pip (9.0.2)

pybind11 (2.2.2)

setuptools (39.0.1)

wheel (0.30.0)

ydk (0.7.0)

ydk-models-cisco-ios-xr (6.3.1)

ydk-models-ietf (0.1.4)

ydk-models-openconfig (0.1.4)

But when I try to import anything or run the provided sample bgp.py I get errors from a .so file:

$ python bgp.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "bgp.py", line 29, in <module>

from ydk.types import Empty

File "/home/joma03/python/ydk-py/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ydk/types/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>

from .py_types import Entity, YList, YLeafList

File "/home/joma03/python/ydk-py/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ydk/types/py_types.py", line 24, in <module>

from ydk_ import is_set

ImportError: /home/joma03/python/ydk-py/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ydk_.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK3ydk6Entity31get_bundle_yang_models_locationB5cxx11Ev

Has anyone else seen this? I'm also on Fedora 27

Hi Johan,

The ydk python core is using C extensions which are compiled into this .so file.

For this issue, I remember seeing this if gcc is older version. Just checking if you have upgraded the gcc as specified in the README?

# Upgrade compiler to gcc 5.*
$ yum install centos-release-scl -y > /dev/null
$ yum install devtoolset-4-gcc* -y > /dev/null
$ ln -sf /opt/rh/devtoolset-4/root/usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc
$ ln -sf /opt/rh/devtoolset-4/root/usr/bin/g++ /usr/bin/c++

What is the output of 'c++ --version' for you?

Thanks

$ c++ --version

c++ (GCC) 7.3.1 20180303 (Red Hat 7.3.1-5)

I don't think I can downgrade to gcc 5.*

I'm not very good at this stuff but I've tried to troubelshoot a bit on my own and I think the ydk_.so that is generated when doing pip install on the core part is not linked to my /usr/lib/libydk.a.

I've installed from source by doing:

$ cd core

core$ python setup.py sdist

core$ pip install dist/ydk*.gz

When running sample/bgp.py I get:

ImportError: /home/joma03/python/ydk-py/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ydk_.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK3ydk6Entity31get_bundle_yang_models_locationB5cxx11Ev

$ nm -g /home/joma03/python/ydk-py/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ydk_.so | grep _ZNK3ydk6Entity31get_bundle_yang_models_locationB5cxx11Ev

U _ZNK3ydk6Entity31get_bundle_yang_models_locationB5cxx11Ev

So it's undefined here, but I guess that's ok since it should be defined in the shared library distributed in the RPM?

And I can find a definition there:

nm -g /usr/lib/libydk.a | grep get_bundle_yang_models_location

00000000000000c0 T _ZNK3ydk6Entity31get_bundle_yang_models_locationEv

U _ZNK3ydk6Entity31get_bundle_yang_models_locationEv

However if I check what the ydk_.so from core is linked against I don't see anything pointing to the library from the RPM:

$ ldd /home/joma03/python/ydk-py/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ydk_.so | grep ydk

$

(no matches)

Is this something that should be handled in the Cmake file? I don't think I know how to fix this myself

Can you please try the steps to build everything from source? Please remove the installed libydk & ydk python core:

rpm -q libydk
pip uninstall ydk -y

Then run the below steps:

$ ./generate.py --libydk
$ cd gen-api/cpp/ydk/build
$ make

# To create the libydk binary package to use for later installation, run the below command
$ make package

# To install the compiled libydk code, run the below command after the above
$ [sudo] make install

$ ./generate.py --python --core
$ pip install gen-api/python/ydk/dist/ydk*.tar.gz

So the reason I didn't see libydk in the ldd output is that it's statically linked. I found out that the symbols doesn't match because of the cxx11 part, and this is apparently some behavior that changed in GCC5.1 to be compatible with C++ 2011 standard? https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/using_dual_abi.html

So the reason it doesn't work is the RPM was compiled with GCC older than 5.1, right? And I'm using GCC7 when compiling ydk-py. So I tried compiling the rpm from source on my machine to get the correct ABI compatability

Now I get a new error when trying to do pip install on the ydk-py core:

In file included from /home/joma03/python/ydk-py/include/site/python2.7/pybind11/operators.h:12:0,

from /tmp/pip-LW_cHq-build/python.cpp:16:

/home/joma03/python/ydk-py/include/site/python2.7/pybind11/pybind11.h:1132:13: note: candidate: template<class ... Args, class ... Extra> pybind11::class_<type_, options>& pybind11::class_<type_, options>::def(pybind11::detail::initimpl::pickle_factory<Args ...>&&, const Extra& ...) [with Args = {Args ...}; Extra = {Extra ...}; type_ = ydk::NetconfService; options = {}]

class_ &def(detail::initimpl::pickle_factory<Args...> &&pf, const Extra &...extra) {

^~~

/home/joma03/python/ydk-py/include/site/python2.7/pybind11/pybind11.h:1132:13: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:

/tmp/pip-LW_cHq-build/python.cpp:955:82: note:   mismatched types ‘pybind11::detail::initimpl::pickle_factory<Args ...>’ and ‘const char [12]’

arg("error_option") = std::string{""}, return_value_policy::reference)

^

gmake[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/ydk_.dir/build.make:63: CMakeFiles/ydk_.dir/python.cpp.o] Error 1

gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/pip-LW_cHq-build/build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7'

gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:68: CMakeFiles/ydk_.dir/all] Error 2

gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/pip-LW_cHq-build/build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7'

gmake: *** [Makefile:84: all] Error 2

I believe the libydk RPM was generated using 5.3.1

cc --version
cc (GCC) 5.3.1 20160406 (Red Hat 5.3.1-6)
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

About the new error, it looks like there is some issue with pybind11 and gcc7. Can you please check the version of pybind11 you have?

pip list|grep pybind

Ok sure:

$ pip list|grep pybind

pybind11 (2.2.2)

Any ideas about pybind?

Sorry for the delay. I was able to install and run ydk 0.7.0 on Fedora27 with the below steps on a fresh Fedora27 image:

# Install system dependencies
yum install git which libxml2-devel libxslt-devel libssh-devel libtool gcc-c++ pcre-devel cmake wget curl-devel unzip python-devel python-pip make go sudo rpm-build redhat-lsb l -y

# Install libydk from source
git clone https://github.com/CiscoDevNet/ydk-gen.git
cd ydk-gen
git checkout 0.7.0
pip install -r requirements.txt
./generate.py --core --cpp
make -C gen-api/cpp/ydk/build install

# Install ydk-py packages
pip install ydk
pip install --install-option="--install-purelib=/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages" --no-deps ydk-models-ietf
pip install --install-option="--install-purelib=/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages" --no-deps ydk-models-openconfig
pip install --install-option="--install-purelib=/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages" --no-deps ydk-models-cisco-ios-xr
pip install --install-option="--install-purelib=/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages" --no-deps ydk-models-cisco-ios-xe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: