cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to establish NETCONF sessions from a remote server to Cisco CSR 1000v using the downloaded RSA key?

khalilmeb
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running docker Yang Development Kit for python ydk-py in my remote server Linux Ubuntu. I would like to Establish a connection using with the remote server and my AWS EC2 instance that runs CSR 1000v.

I used to access to my router using the following ssh command:

ssh -i "ssh-key.pem" ec2-user@ec2-xx-xx-xx-xxx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com

Where ec2-xx-xx-xx-xxx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com is the hostname, ec2-user is the username and the ssh key is for authentification.

As the first step, I want to run the given example in here https://github.com/CiscoDevNet/ydk-py-samples.

This is the creation of NETCONF session in the given example:

provider = NetconfServiceProvider(address="10.0.0.1",
                                      port=830,
                                      username="admin",
                                      password="admin",
                                      protocol="ssh")

If we take a look, HOSTUSERNAME and PASSWORK are needed to establish the connection between the router and the host machine. It happens that I use SSH key downloaeded from AWS console in order to access to the EC2 instance.

In another word, how to establish NETCONF sessions from a remote server to Cisco CSR 1000v using the downloaded RSA key?

6 Replies 6

khalilmeb
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried this 

provider = NetconfServiceProvider("ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com", 
"ec2-user",
port=830,
protocol='ssh',
timeout=-1,
repo=None,
private_key_path="mykey.pem")

I have got this error 

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "hello-ydk.py", line 18, in <module>
    private_key_path="mykey.pem")
TypeError: __init__(): incompatible constructor arguments. The following argument types are supported:
    1. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(repo: ydk_.path.Repository, address: unicode, username: unicode, password: unicode, port: int=830L, protocol: unicode=u'ssh', on_demand: bool=True, timeout: int=-1L)
    2. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(address: unicode, username: unicode, password: unicode, port: int=830L, protocol: unicode=u'ssh', on_demand: bool=True, common_cache: bool=False, timeout: int=-1L)
    3. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(repo: ydk_.path.Repository, address: unicode, username: unicode, private_key_path: unicode, public_key_path: unicode, port: int=830L, on_demand: bool=True, timeout: int=-1L)
    4. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(address: unicode, username: unicode, private_key_path: unicode, public_key_path: unicode, port: int=830L, on_demand: bool=True, common_cache: bool=False, timeout: int=-1L)

Invoked with: 'ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com', 'ec2-user'; kwargs: repo=None, private_key_path='mykey.pem', protocol='ssh', port=830, timeout=-1

Hello khalilmeb

The certificate downloaded from server is actually its public key. Therefore please try this:

provider = NetconfServiceProvider("ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com",
"ec2-user",
public_key_path="mykey.pem")

The rest of parameters should take default values. I actually prefer to specify full path for the file location to avoid confusion with working directory location.

Regards,

Yan

Well, this is my code

provider = NetconfServiceProvider(address="ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com",
username="ec2-user",
public_key_path="/home/server/shared_files/mykey.pem"
)

I'm still getting the same error :/ 

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "hello-ydk.py", line 17, in <module>
public_key_path="/home/server/shared_files/mykey.pem"
TypeError: __init__(): incompatible constructor arguments. The following argument types are supported:
1. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(repo: ydk_.path.Repository, address: unicode, username: unicode, password: unicode, port: int=830L, protocol: unicode=u'ssh', on_demand: bool=True, timeout: int=-1L)
2. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(address: unicode, username: unicode, password: unicode, port: int=830L, protocol: unicode=u'ssh', on_demand: bool=True, common_cache: bool=False, timeout: int=-1L)
3. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(repo: ydk_.path.Repository, address: unicode, username: unicode, private_key_path: unicode, public_key_path: unicode, port: int=830L, on_demand: bool=True, timeout: int=-1L)
4. ydk_.providers.NetconfServiceProvider(address: unicode, username: unicode, private_key_path: unicode, public_key_path: unicode, port: int=830L, on_demand: bool=True, common_cache: bool=False, timeout: int=-1L)

Invoked with: kwargs: username='ec2-user', public_key_path='/home/server/shared_files/mykey.pem', address='ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com'

In the README file in here https://github.com/CiscoDevNet/ydk-py-samples/blob/master/samples/basic/README.md the running a sample app is the following:

Unless specified by the app, all basic apps take two command line arguments. An optional argument (-v | --verbose) to enable logging and a mandatory argument in URL format that describes the connection details to the networking device (ssh://user:password@device:port):

$ ./nc-read-xr-ip-ntp-oper-10-ydk.py ssh://admin:admin@10.0.0.1

So in my case, it should be like this, right?

$ ./hello-ydk.py ssh://ec2-user:ec2-user@ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com

But still did not work

./hello-ydk.py: 13: ./hello-ydk.py: Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting "then")

I tired the following.

provider = NetconfServiceProvider(address="ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com",
username="ec2-user",
private_key_path="/home/server/shared_files/mykey.pem")

I tried to debug the python script and it turns out that there is a problem with argument type which is private_key_path for the code above

-> username="ec2-user",
(Pdb) next
> /home/server/shared_files/hello-ydk.py(15)<module>()
-> private_key_path="/home/server/shared_files/mykey.pem")
(Pdb) next
TypeError: "__init__(): incompatible constructor arguments. The following argument types are supported:\n .../home/server/shared_files/mykey.pem', address='ec2-xx-xx-xx-xx.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com'"

How can I solve this issue?

saalvare
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The NETCONF provider does support key-based authentication. Take a look at the documentation:
http://ydk.cisco.com/py/docs/api/providers/netconf_provider.html
Can't find a working example, but specifying the router public key, user name and no password should suffice.

HTH.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: