cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the difference ydk-gen and yang-gen ?

haofan
Level 4
Level 4

As we know, yang-gen used by Opendaylight that converge yang to java api(https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/YANG_Tools:YANG_to_Java_Mapping).  So my question is that what is the difference between yang-gen and ydk-gen ? Can use yang-gen in ydk-gen for support Java.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abhirame
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hao,

yang-gen and ydk-gen are unrelated.

Please refer to this post for an introduction: New to YDK and model-driven APIs?

Some documentation for ydk-gen is here in the github repository. As Anton mentioned above, currently, we have support for python and C++ language bindings. Since this project is open source, we welcome contributions to java language bindings using ydk-gen.

On a related note, it is currently possible to use OpenDaylight with the C++ bindings. See here  (support for ODL in python is coming soon).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Anton Abik
Level 4
Level 4

Hi. Ydk-gen is part of YDK. You can read about YDK here but in summary ydk-gen allows you to generate API from any yang model. The API can be in any language (in theory, nowadays it supports cpp and python I think) and really helps you to write network automation applications without worrying about protocol,transport, coding/decoding netconf xml data, etc. This is already in the API and you can focus more to write the logic of your applications.

I dont know much about the opendayligth but it seems to me as controller for everything. I dont know for what of the functions it offers it is parsing yang to java. If its goal is same as ydk-gen (to generate API which simplify writing apps) then we can say these are similar products. But I dont think you can generate java api in opendaylight and use it in ydk, because ydk-gen generate specific ydk api with all the benefits I described above.

Hope it helps

EDIT: seems Cisco is also using opendaylight

Cisco Open SDN Controller - Cisco

Thanks. Got it.

abhirame
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hao,

yang-gen and ydk-gen are unrelated.

Please refer to this post for an introduction: New to YDK and model-driven APIs?

Some documentation for ydk-gen is here in the github repository. As Anton mentioned above, currently, we have support for python and C++ language bindings. Since this project is open source, we welcome contributions to java language bindings using ydk-gen.

On a related note, it is currently possible to use OpenDaylight with the C++ bindings. See here  (support for ODL in python is coming soon).

Thanks. Got it.