Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI shared interface policy group

Naz_sys_d
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have two leaves and I want to use Port-channel connectivity from leaf1 to server1 and from leaf2 to server2.

Can I use one interface policy group for both connections? (When I created it and attached interfaces in profiles, there were no faults, but I'm not sure that is correct).

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Naz_sys_d ,

Can I use one interface policy group for both connections?

Short answer, yes - but don't do it

If you do, and you ever need to change any configuration on ONE of these connections in the future, you'll be changing BOTH.  Now if they are to be forever locked in synch - then that's OK

But here's the other conceptual jig-saw.

In your case, you are using the SAME PortChannel Interface Policy Group for a PortChannel on TWO DIFFERENT LEAVES.  That will work, but, as I said, not recommended.  What won't work is if you try and use the same PortChannel Policy Group for two different Port Channels ON THE SAME LEAF - ACI will see the two port channels as ONE port channel - even if each one goes to a different switch.

The same story applied to Virtual Port Channel Interface Policy Groups for a given pair of switches - each VPCIPG can be used ONCE only per pair.

So my advice is to ALWAYS create a new PortChannel Policy Group for every PortChannel, and a new VPC PG for every VPC.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Naz_sys_d ,

Can I use one interface policy group for both connections?

Short answer, yes - but don't do it

If you do, and you ever need to change any configuration on ONE of these connections in the future, you'll be changing BOTH.  Now if they are to be forever locked in synch - then that's OK

But here's the other conceptual jig-saw.

In your case, you are using the SAME PortChannel Interface Policy Group for a PortChannel on TWO DIFFERENT LEAVES.  That will work, but, as I said, not recommended.  What won't work is if you try and use the same PortChannel Policy Group for two different Port Channels ON THE SAME LEAF - ACI will see the two port channels as ONE port channel - even if each one goes to a different switch.

The same story applied to Virtual Port Channel Interface Policy Groups for a given pair of switches - each VPCIPG can be used ONCE only per pair.

So my advice is to ALWAYS create a new PortChannel Policy Group for every PortChannel, and a new VPC PG for every VPC.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License