cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI Simulator and ESXI VDS - No Management Port Connectivity

oriongruca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am trying to connect too cisco aci simulator 5.2.4.d management port but failing to connect.  I have enabled the three options under security - promiscuous mode, MAC address Changes, Forged Transmits under the port group. However we are using a distributed switch so I cannot enable these options at there as they are not available to be set from what I can see.  Can the sim be used with a vmware distributed switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Usually this has to do with those three security settings.  You can toggle them off/on and see if that helps, but if you can Ping the mgmt IP from outside of Vmware, then there's no issue.   If external access still doesn't work, try moving to a vSwitch and re-test.

Robert

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, works fine with a native vDS.  You only need to enable those security options at the distributed port group level.  As suggested in many identical posts, have you tried putting a workstation VM in the same port group on the same host - giving it an IP in the same subnet - and see if you can reach the Sim's Management IP like this?

Robert

Thank you for responding appreciate it.

Yes I have other workstations up and running in that vm port group fine.

My question wasn't if other VMs in the same Port Group are running fine or are reachable, it was if THAT VM could reach/ping/access GUI of the Sim IP.  This takes any external vSwitch/vDS issues out of the equation.

Robert

Oh I see thanks will test now.

Yes a device on the same vmware distributed switch can ping the virtual acisim

Can you open the UI from the test VM?

Robert

No the webpage doesn't open

I have waited about 15 minutes

I accepted all the defaults except to the oob mgt address.

I am connected on the vm console and can issue commands just fine via cli

I get the initial connection page but it fails to load past that, I have included a screen shot.

You're reaching the web services on the APIC Sim succesfully - Have you accepted the the cert warning by clicking "Accept the risk Continue"?  What happens after you click that?

Robert

I can now access the webpage from a vm on the same port group. it looks to have taken a long time to load up.

Is there a reason why this is not accessible outside the port group?

Usually this has to do with those three security settings.  You can toggle them off/on and see if that helps, but if you can Ping the mgmt IP from outside of Vmware, then there's no issue.   If external access still doesn't work, try moving to a vSwitch and re-test.

Robert

I have access from the same port group so will continue from their and try some other options you provided tomorrow.

Thank You Again

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License