Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert ACI leaf port to uplink from switch console

kjdhghsghsfg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to use 93180YC-FX as a remote leaf. It is connected to IPN with 10G SFPs in ports 1/45 and 1/46. These ports are downlink ports by default. I have console access to the switch. Can I convert ports 1/45 and 1/46 to fabric ports using switch cli from console? I know how to do the conversion from APIC but in order for this to work the switch would have to be registered to fabric which is something that does not work at the moment (chicken and egg..).

Or do I have to request recabling of the switch to IPN via 40/100G ports which are fabric ports? This will require extra effort which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks for all help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As you said, it's a chicken & egg scenario.  Discovery is only supported on the native Fabric interfaces, so you would need to use one of the six 40/100G interfaces with a CVR-QSFP-SFP10G adapter if you need 10G SFP connections to the ISN.  Once you discover the switch, then you can convert any of the downlink interfaces 1-48 to fabric interfaces.  Regardless, we'd still always recommend keeping at least one native fabric port in use at all times, in the event you had to erase the switch and the config is lost, you'd need that native fabric interface again.  Don't want to get stuck in this sceneario down the road.

Robert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As you said, it's a chicken & egg scenario.  Discovery is only supported on the native Fabric interfaces, so you would need to use one of the six 40/100G interfaces with a CVR-QSFP-SFP10G adapter if you need 10G SFP connections to the ISN.  Once you discover the switch, then you can convert any of the downlink interfaces 1-48 to fabric interfaces.  Regardless, we'd still always recommend keeping at least one native fabric port in use at all times, in the event you had to erase the switch and the config is lost, you'd need that native fabric interface again.  Don't want to get stuck in this sceneario down the road.

Robert

Thanks for fast response. Sad. I had hopes that there would have been some kind of internal debug command etc to accomplish this in the lab. This is a lab environment.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License