cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Device Tracking

TID_Orion
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured APIC-EM in stand alone mode and have discovered a majority of my network devices. On many of these devices, I am unable to view host information within the APIC console. Port information is gathered successfully. I have verified that IP device tracking is working and a "show ip device tracking all" lists all of my connected hosts on the switch. Any reason why APIC will not pick this up? Many thanks in advance!

19 Replies 19

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you please collect RCA log ? What version are you using ?

Thank you for your response, I have uploaded the RCA log here: Dropbox - grapevine-root-172.17.20.41-rca-2016-04-08_19-12-42_UTC+0000.tar.gz

I am running version 1.1.1.34

Thanks for the log

A few more info may help:

1. How is the host connected to switch? Is it directly connected to switch or connected behind IP phone ?

2. Can you please provide specific host ip &  Mac address which is missing. It would be difficult without knowing this info.

1. How is the host connected to switch? Is it directly connected to switch or connected behind IP phone ?

• Most hosts are behind an IP phone, but some are not. The APIC is not detecting both types on many catalyst 3850 switches.

2. Can you please provide specific host ip &  Mac address which is missing. It would be difficult without knowing this info.

• An example IP and MAC: 192.168.38.20   00c0.b79f.966e
  • This IP and MAC show up when i run show ip device tracking all

Thanks

There was a defect - "inventory fails to add host connected to ip-phone to DB" which is what you are seeing but is supposed to fixed in version 1.1.1.34.

Can you please collect the following from 3850 switch for further debugging ?

“show ip device tracking all”

“show ip arp”

“show mac address-table”

The output from:

“show ip device tracking all”

“show ip arp”

“show mac address-table”

Can be found here: Dropbox - 3850 Output.txt

Thanks

Thanks you so much for helping us debugging this issue. This issue is supposed fixed in this release but for some reason you still have it.

Per developer's request I wonder if you can help us to collect the following, It would be really really helpful.

Show ip device tracking all

Show cdp neighbours

Show cdp neighbours detail

Show lldp neigbours

Show lldp neighbours detail

Show ip arp

Show mac address table

Show running config from that device.

I have attached the requested information here:

Dropbox - IP Device Tracking.zip

Thanks!

Hi Manuel,

Thanks again for your help. We asked developer look into the issue the looks like they found something but need more your help.

Message from dev:

I have seen one exception in inventory.log that i fixed and check in but that is not related to 'ip device traking all' issue. So can you provide me two log file inventory.log and xde.log in debug mode.

Steps to enable debug mode:

From cluster, Goto apic-em-inventory-manager-service

$ grape instance status | grep apic-em-inventory-manager-service

apic-em-inventory-manager-service    1.2.0.804    running    57048f33-d792-4249-8af6-08cf9c85b154   169.254.0.97

(grapevine)

[Thu Apr 21 06:47:40 UTC] grapevine@172.24.100.235 (grapevine-root-1) ~

$ ssh 169.254.0.97

After enter into service:

$ su root

Password:

# cd /opt/CSCOlumos/bin/

bin#  ./setLogLevel.sh ALL DEBUG

After enabling Debug clear all logs

bin# cd cd ../logs

logs# >inventory.log

logs# >xde.log

logs# rm inventory.log.*

logs# rm xde.log.*

Then do forced sync on device.

Please send me above cleared log file

for example inventory.log and xde.log

and other also like inventory.log.1,xde.log.1 etc

Thank you for your response. I have generated the logs, but have not found a way to export them out. Do you have any recommendations?

Can you do the same share on dropbox or box ?

Yes! Here is the link Dropbox - LOGS

Thank you so much !

Hi Manuel,

Here is the feedback from developer:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen the IPDT and cdp output.

Come to conclusion that IPDT Host is matching with CDP IP Address and this CDP Ip should not treat as Host because CDP Platform contains 'AIR' text. That's why from IPDT this Host(192.168.38.150) is removing.

if any other host is not populating as host except this. please let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dlss2eff2li300/IP%20Device%20Tracking.zip?dl=0

Please See below output:

================================================================================

IPDT output only issue details:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Address    MAC Address   Vlan  Interface           Probe-Timeout      State    Source

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

192.168.38.150  6073.5caa.15cb 2    GigabitEthernet1/0/20  30              ACTIVE   ARP

=================================================================================

=================================================================================

CDP Output only issue details:

-------------------------

Device ID: WAP-1

Entry address(es):

IP address: 192.168.38.150

IPv6 address: FE80::6273:5CFF:FEAA:15CB  (link-local)

Platform: cisco AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9,  Capabilities: Trans-Bridge Source-Route-Bridge IGMP

Interface: GigabitEthernet1/0/20,  Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0

Holdtime : 127 sec

Version :

Cisco IOS Software, C3600 Software (AP3G2-K9W8-M), Version 15.3(3)JA5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 15-Oct-15 08:03 by prod_rel_team

advertisement version: 2

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 15.400 Watts

Power request id: 32686, Power management id: 2

Power request levels are:15400 13000 0 0 0

Management address(es):

IP address: 192.168.38.150

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community