Views
Helpful
Replies

Get Access Point Network Information in DNAC via API call

Vida44
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get the Information where an AP is connected on (Switch, Port) via an API call in DNAC.
Does anyone any Idea how to get this?
I spent too much time as it is to find any information in the API doku for this.

Here is a screenshot of what I need:

Vida44_0-1692281360559.png

Any help is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does it have to be via API?  I've seen most users do this with the "AP" report template.

I don't know if it can be done via API, because that is a unique bit of info that only applies to APs and not a generic device detail.

Vida44
Level 1
Level 1

Well for troubleshooting purposes API would be ideal.
I am building a script that will get all the necessary Information if I receive an "AP Down" alert.
So basically, with one script I could get all the information and directly check the Switchport interface for further details.
Something in the lines:

if (AP != "UP state"

check Switchport Status
check Authentication Session
and so on....

Unfortunately DNAC is the only tool that I have where this information is stored.
The WLC doesn't store this information for later.

Theoretically it can be done with a CSV report, or at least I can give it a try.
The Standard AP report doesn't have this Info though so I'm courius which one you are thinking of.

EDIT: It is in the AP Report, just not in my version (2.2.3.6). I can see it in 2.3.3.7. Luckily we are doing an upgrade soon to this version.
But still, if it can get into a report it shouldn't be hard to have it come as a response in an API Call.

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is DNA reporting an Issue when an AP goes down?  It is supposed to report when "The AP is disconnected from the WLC. The AP's capwap link to the WLC was down" and the description tells you which port it was last seen on.   If needed, you can subscribe to the events and send to a webook, if for example you are looking to automate remediation.