cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300L switch licenses

hmc250000
Beginner
Beginner

We have a C9300-24UX with the licenses enabled at the time it was configured. Now a few years forward I see the licenses have expired. what is the impact of this exactly and how do I reactivate?

Any other license we need to be worried about? 

We are not using Cisco DNA Center.

This new licensing method has not really been simple as per cisco's claims.

License Usage
==============

(C9300-24 DNA Advantage):
Description:
Count: 2
Version: 1.0
Export status: NOT RESTRICTED

(C9300-24 Network Advantage):
Description:
Count: 2
Version: 1.0
Export status: NOT RESTRICTED

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
VIP Guru VIP Guru
VIP Guru

Technical you should not see any issue,. but compliance you need to get License to use tht feeatures.

what version of code, most of the Cat 9300 are new smart License.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/configuring_smart_licensing.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We do not use DNA center.

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 40 C9300-24UX 16.9.4 CAT9K_IOSXE INSTALL

network-advantage Smart License network-advantage
dna-advantage Subscription Smart License dna-advantage

If you are not using DNAC, you can ignore that, but what License your purchaged along with device.

(default only ship with network Essential) - if you looking feature to work with switch  network-advantage you need to check the License.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Flavio Miranda
Advisor
Advisor

Hi @hmc250000 

9300 is pretty new switch and it seems to me that this switch never had actually a permanent license. Those expired license is EVAL (Evaluation).

If you have the licensing then you need to perform the process of licensing the switch. You need to know how are you going to do that. Do you have a smart account?  If yes, then, you can do your licensing there. If not, then, you can use some other method.

You can take a look on this guide or, if you are not a technical guy, you can contact the cisco reseller to help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-3/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_173_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/sl_using_policy.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_7b182d2b-c9cd-4d1e-a7d1-0a5662aae3a7 

But, the switch will not stop working if you do not enable the licensing. However, if you need to enable some feature that depends on the license, you´ll not be able to do that and if you have any problem and need cisco assistance, they may ask you to add licenses.

Yes, I have a smart account however do I not need to activate it on the switch itself? 

Another question about a slightly different model, how do I upgrade the software for this model?

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 29 C9300L-24T-4X 17.03.04 CAT9K_IOSXE INSTALL

Is this the 9300L-24T-4X-E? And would I upgrade using the IOS XE Software AP Device Pack image?