cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reset the IR829 to factory settings

nathan
Level 4
Level 4

There are two ways to reset an IR829 to factory settings, depending on the version of IOS installed. The reset button itself is under the same screwed down plat that covers the mini-USB console port. You will need a paperclip or similar to press the reset button.

15.5(3)M1 or earlier (including 15.4 releases)

If the version of IOS is 15.5(3)M1, or earlier (including 15.4 releases), then the device must have booted to IOS before it can be reset. Note that this does not mean that the command prompt has to be available. The device could have partially booted, and then hung (which is likely why you want to reset it in the first place).

If the device boots to rommon-2, and is not booting IOS automatically, then you need to manually boot into IOS from the rommon-2 prompt like this (where the image name and version may differ):

rommon-2> boot flash:/ir800-universalk9-mz.SPA.155-3.M

Once the IOS boot process starts and you start seeing the initial copyright legend and messages like the one below, you can reset:

*Jan  2 00:00:07.963: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = ir800 Next reboot level = ipbasek9 and License = ipbasek9 ...

To effect a reset, press the reset button for 10 seconds until this message appears:

%FCPLMGR-5-CFG_BUTTON_LONG_PRESSED: Config reset button was held for more than 10 seconds. NVRAM filesystem erased.

That will reset nvram, which is where any previous non-factory configuration will have ben saved. Then the device will reboot. If it reboots to rommon-2, you can manually boot from there to IOS as shown above.

15.5(3)M2 or later (including 15.6 releases)

If the IOS version is 15.5(3)M2 or later (including 15.6 releases), use the method as described in the documentation explained below, as resetting when IOS is running no longer works.

The instructions from this document: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/829/829-HIG-7-15.pdf say:

"The Reset button resets the router configuration to the default configuration set by the factory. To restore the router configuration to the default configuration set by the factory, use a standard size #1 paper clip with wire gauge 0.033 inch or smaller and simultaneously press the reset button while applying power to the router."

What the instructions do not make clear is how long one should press the reset button for. I kept it down for ten to fifteen seconds after inserting the power supply for one attempt, and released it immediately I saw alight come one for another attempt. Neither seemed to work, in that the device booted up again with the same configuration.

What did work for me was holding the reset button down for a count of 30 seconds, until the PoE light came on, after which the device was reset to factory settings.

5 Replies 5

ernguyen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

You need to go back and read one of my previous emails regarding the different ways to reset IR800 devices back to factory default.    It depends on the IOS version you're using (actually it depends on the BIOS and FPGA versions that are embedded in that particular IOS image version).    For your case, use the method I told you instead of the one in the documentation you mentioned.

Thanks,

Eric

junxu2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

The is caused by no any boot option in startup-configuration. So, when system is booting up, system didn't know which image should be used. After that, the system will be stopped at the stage of "rommon-2".

Please input the following commands in IOS CLI to fix it.

IR800-demo3a#configure terminal

IR800-demo3a(config)#boot system flash:/ir800-universalk9-mz.SPA.155-3.M

IR800-demo3a(config)#exit

IR800-demo3a#write

After that, reboot/repower the whole system. You will see the normal booting progress.

Jun

ernguyen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jun,

Your method only works if everything else works, which is not the case here ;-)

Nathan already fixed his device.

Thanks,

Eric

charles.douglas
Level 1
Level 1

I struggled with this and found that you need to hold down the reset button for a min of 10 secs and wait for the following to pop up:

*Dec  2 21:27:02.611: %FCPLMGR-5-CFG_BUTTON_LONG_PRESSED: Config reset button was held for more than 10 seconds. NVRAM filesystem erased.

*Dec  2 21:27:02.613: %SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram

*Dec  2 21:27:02.613: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by IR800 Fcplmgr OS events dispatcher. Reload Reason: Configuration Reset button (long) pressed.

...Then cycle the power on the router.    You will know if the config has been cleared if it boots into ROMMon.   As stated in prev replies, the boot statement is no longer in the configs.    Just exec #boot flash:<image_name> to get the router to start and you will be prompted with everyone's favorite initial question:

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Hope this helps someone 

jaywill78
Level 1
Level 1

I agree: when the POE light comes on (after about 10-15 seconds), you can stop depressing the reset button. After 2-3 minutes, I saw the following output:

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [OK]

Erase of nvram: complete

Router IOS Configuration Recovery is unsuccessful

Router Configuration Dialogue will be used

And then another 2-3 minutes after that:

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.

As a note, the devices I was resetting were running ir800-universalk9-mz.SPA.156-3.M0a.

Hope this helps!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: