Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Dan Meyers on 19-08-2013 03:26:41 AM
To make things easy for our phone deployment guys, we've got a central system that they use to roll out new extension mobility profiles, voicemail accounts and the like which is confiugred for our common options and only asks them the most basic of questions. So far, it works like this:

1. Username of user is entered into allocation system
2. A random 6 digit number is generated to act as an initial PIN for phone services, and displayed to the requesting user2. Free phone number is automatically found and allocated
3. Phone number is automatically/programmatically assigned to the user under the 'ipPhone' field on our Active Directory list of users
4. AXL API is used to request an LDAP sync with our AD on the CUCM Publisher, if one is not already in progress (LDAP sync is configured to only sync/import users who have a non-blank ipPhone field in the AD)
5. Once sync is complete and user has been imported, AXL API is used to configure extension mobility device profile for the user, and the relevant number is allocated to the device profile
6. End User PIN for extension mobility device profile login is set to the generated 6 digit number from above, and set to 'must be changed on next login'
7. REST API is used to request an LDAP sync with our AD on Cisco Unity Connection, if one is not already in progress (LDAP sync is configured to only sync users who have a non-blank ipPhone field in the AD)
8. Once sync is complete, user is fully imported from the local LDAP data with a relevant (voicemail/unified messaging) template
9. Voicemail account PIN is set to the generated 6 digit number from above, and set to 'must be changed on next login' 

So, steps 1-6 are already complete and working fine. Steps 8 and 9, from the documentation for CUPI here http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Unity_Connection_Provisioning_Interface_(CUPI)_API_--_Index_of_All_CUPI_Documentation don't look to be all that difficult.
 Step 7 is giving me real problems. I can't find anything in the Cisco Unity Connection API documentation about how to force an LDAP sync with a given configured LDAP directory source. On CUCM this is a fairly trivial API call, but I can't find an equivalent REST call for Unity Connection. We operate on a Just-In-Time model of provisioning, so I don't know what number the user will get allocated until we actually come to provision the extension for them. I thus can't fill in the details on our AD and then wait for the nightly LDAP sync job to run on Unity before doing the rest of the job. Once the LDAP sync has occured, doing an import of the record from the sync'ed data seems to be fairly simple.

We're running 
Cisco Unity Connection version: 8.6.2ES44.22900-44 

So where is the API to actually request an LDAP sync? Does it exist? If not, is it in the pipeline to be added any time soon?

Thanks

Comments
scheived
Level 3
Level 3

I still can't find this API Call to Cisco Unity any clue?

scheived
Level 3
Level 3

Yes but UC will only import a user already queued up from after the LDAP sync, there seems to be no api function for kicking off an immediate LDAP sync and waiting for the 6 hour periodical sync isn't always practical.

Found a great solution here, https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-communications/is-it-possible-to-call-a-cisco-unity-ldap-sync-via-the-cupi-or/td-p/2819769

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's one way to do it I guess

Notably not officially supported, but works nonetheless...

DannyBoemermann
Level 1
Level 1

I recently have been working on a new automation tool and found the way to do this using the CUPI API. While there is no info in their api guide that I could find, if you look at the WADL there is an available request. An easy way to get the LDAP Configuration objectid is to go to the directoryFindList.do page, then right click on the name of the configuration you want and open it in a new tab. This will list the objectid in the URL.

Send a PUT to {location}/vmrest/ldap/sync/{objectid}.

scheived
Level 3
Level 3

Winner! I got this to work, server doesn't seem to reply with anything but it starts an ldap sync. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links