Views
Helpful
Replies

Why CAN'T I just paste an image to my post? [Edit: You can now-thanks]

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi all,

I'll have more to say about the "reimagined" community forum later, but for now I want to ask:

During the "reimagining" - how come no-one "imagined" that users would want to paste pictures/illustration/diagrams/screendumps into their posts?

I mean, if I've copied a picture to the clipboard, and attempt to paste it into this post I see a big red message:

image.png

instead of the picture I was trying to paste.

Now pasting images is pretty fundamental, and many other forums allow this. But not Cisco!

So I'm calling on the Keepers of the Community Forum (@Tyler Langston) to make this simple addition. To allow images to be pasted inline. Or if you find this too hard, at the very least you could implement my suggestion from 2020.

Oh, and it would be really nice if you could get rid of that annoying red message that now appears EVERY TIME YOU PASTE ANYTHING after having pasted an image to your post via the Camera icon. I mean this one:

image.png

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tyler Langston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @RedNectar - less a reimagining, more of a technical error. I'll get this reported. Thanks!

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Tyler Langston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @RedNectar - less a reimagining, more of a technical error. I'll get this reported. Thanks!

@Tyler Langston , You must be able to move mountains.

RedNectar_1-1661318280323.png

Look, I just cut and pasted your reply!

Let's hope you have as much luck getting <pre></pre> to work properly!

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

@Tyler Langston ,

I'm hoping you can follow up with the paste image - it is fantastic that I can now paste directly into my reply - BUT...

It is always pasted as "Medium" size - like this simple screen dump of a 1440px wide browser screen

RedNectar_0-1661457720123.png

There is NO WAY my eyes can read the text on that image. Given that when someone pastes an image, it is likely to be a screenshot, it makes much more sense to have it automatically formatted as "large" - here's the SAME screendump reformatted to "large"

RedNectar_1-1661458825372.png

I hate to be picky, but now that people are starting to USE this, I'm seeing more "Medium" (=small for a screendump) images in posts, and it kind of defeats the purpose.

So if I can implore you to approach the gurus who control this, I'd be grateful, and so would everyone else who ever pastes a screendump.

@RedNectar - great to hear that image copy/paste is working as we'd both expect it to (more or less)! 

Default paste-size seems like something I should be able to adjust somewhere - the trick is to find it in the nest of other options that exist. Let me do some digging.

oh! Also the 'blob' error should be resolved too (or at least, that's what I'm told). If that gives you any more guff will you let me know?

BUMP

We are halfway there:

If a picture is added using the camera icon, it shows in the post full width (HOORAY)

But...

When I actually paste (as in right-click > paste) into a post, it pastes as 50% size, like this:

RedNectar_0-1679108464774.png

There is an option once you paste the image to the reply. Click on the image and there should be an option to select the viewing image size. I have been using this for a few months now after I accidentally discovered it.  Now this is from a browser and not my iPhone. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi @Scott Fella ,

I know about that option. My post was about the DEFAULT paste. Not about what you HAVE to do with it afterwards.  But this post is getting a life of it's own. I really should have posted a new thread.

Oh okay. I personally don’t want to paste an image at 100%. My captures are high resolution so I would have to always downsize it. I guess everybody will have their opinion on what they would like and maybe that should be a preference setting for each user.
-Scott

Hi @Scott Fella ,

In the interests of readability for others, you should consider pasting all images to the page width - it has nothing to do with whether the original image pasted is high resolution or not.

What I'm trying to do is make the community forum more accessible to the general user who may be pasting a problem description for the first time. for instance take a look at this post and tell me how well you can read those screendumps without have to first enlarge them?

It does not really matter that both you and I know how to get around the problem, we (the Cisco Community) need to always think of the person who is using this forum for the first time, and for their sake:

1. It should be made much clearer to them that pasting pictures inline is just a ^v or CMD-v away
  2. ALWAYS paste the image full width - if it too big, we readers can handle that much better than microscopic print.

I also copy and paste into a message. However, you can click on that image and you will have an option to display that allows you to pick a view size. I have been using that for a month or so.
-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@RedNectar maybe I’m an exception here. Majority of my post/replies are from my mobile and the post you shared looks fine on mobile.  I know probably 99% will never use mobile so I hear what you are saying. 

-Scott

forewa7918
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Formatting: Some platforms or applications may require specific formatting for images, edit video such as a certain file type or size, or a particular resolution. If your image does not meet these requirements, it may not be possible to simply paste it into your post.

2. Restrictions: Certain platforms or applications may have restrictions in place to prevent users from pasting images directly into posts. This could be for security reasons, to prevent the spread of malware, or to ensure that all images are properly optimized for the platform.

3. Compatibility: The image format you are trying to paste may not be compatible with the platform or application you are using. For example, some platforms may only support certain types of image files, such as JPEG or PNG.

4. User error: It's also possible that you are encountering issues because of user error. Make sure that you are copying the image correctly and that you are pasting it into the appropriate location in your post.

Hey @kyleejenner009 ,

Since I fist put up this post, the "keepers" have enabled pasting screendumps etcjust by hitting Ctrl+V (or Cmd+v) - the camera icon is only needed if you want to add a copy of a config file or the like - or link to another photo in another post (URL).

My suggestion is to NEVER use the camera icon, but instead find the "picture, illustration, diagram, screendump " fille you want to add, hit Ctrl+c (or Cmd+C) then paste it into your post!

susankerr
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Cisco Community,

Thank you for raising this query regarding the functionality of pasting images into posts on the reimagined community forum. The absence of such a feature might be attributed to several considerations. Primarily, it could be a deliberate choice to maintain a streamlined and text-centric communication style, fostering a focus on discussions and textual information. Technical constraints or potential misuse of image uploads could also be factors influencing this decision. However, user feedback is invaluable for refining platforms, and it is encouraging to note that the community has been responsive to such concerns. As the platform evolves, it would be prudent for the developers to assess the demand for image integration and explore picsart free alternative apk possibilities for its future inclusion...Best Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links