Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS Switch

ja.aljaloud
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

i have a project to migrate from Brocade switche to DS-C9148T-24PETK9  Switche.

The Server and Storgae are connected redudant to Fabric A and Fabric B.

We have 2 Data Center and in every Data Center i want to install 2 Switches.

Switche 1 in Data Center 1 connected to Switche 2 in Data Center 2

Switche 3 in Data Center 1 connected to Switche 4 in Data Center 2

The Distance between Data Center 1 and Data Center 2 is 181 Meter.

so i have to configure 2 Fabrics ( A and B ).

But this is the first time for me, so anyone could help me or advise me how i can configure them!

I wanna know how i will configure the Switche in Fabric A and Fabric B.....

Mercy

Jalo

34 Replies 34

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hello,
This document will help you with your migration plan (from brocade to cisco):
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/whitepapers/non-disruptive-san-migration-from-brocade-to-cisco.html

You can also refer to MDS configuration guides for more details:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/storage-networking/mds-9000-nx-os-san-os-software/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

And a few more quick config guides (though these are old ones, but still valid and most of the things are same.
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/san-os/quick/guide/quick_cg.html
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/fm/quick/guide/ins.pdf

let us know if you need more help.

Thanks so much for your help.

I have to do this config. after next week.

I wanna know just how to configure 2 switches in one fabric. Can you please provide me an example how i should do that?

when the tow swithces in one fabric, then i will see the 2 swithces as one logigal switch or they will be active/standby?

Thanks in advanced

Jalo

jaloud.aljaloud
Level 1
Level 1

i read some Documentations and i found out that i should configure ISL Port channel ( E Type ) between 2 MDS Cisco Switche.

With this config can i have one Logical Switch?!

Hi,
These are two different switches and will act like them. They will share the zoning database but will be two different entities.
Please spend some time reading the following guides to learn more – about how to configure multiple switches in the dual fabric.

* Cisco MDS 9000 Series Fabric Configuration Guide, Release 9.x<>
* Cisco MDS 9000 Series Fundamentals Configuration Guide, Release 9.x<>
* Cisco MDS 9000 Series Interfaces Configuration Guide, Release 9.x<>

Moreover, if you google around, you will find a number of non-cisco resources to help you. Like this: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&btnG=Search&q=mds+principal+switch&oq=team+building+for+kids&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.98.5809.0.10192.23.22.0.0.0.0.169.2453.0j22.22.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.22.2449.0..0i131k1j0i131i10k1j0i22i3...

Regards,

Thanks

i will do this Config for example :

FC_switch_A_1# conf t
FC_switch_A_1# shutdown
FC_switch_A_1# switchport rate-mode dedicated
FC_switch_A_1# switchport speed 8000
FC_switch_A_1# switchport fcrxbbcredit 60
FC_switch_A_1# switchport mode E
FC_switch_A_1# switchport trunk mode on
FC_switch_A_1# switchport trunk allowed vsan 10
FC_switch_A_1# switchport trunk allowed vsan add 20
FC_switch_A_1# channel-group 1
fc1/36 added to port-channel 1 and disabled

FC_switch_B_1# conf t
FC_switch_B_1# shutdown
FC_switch_B_1# switchport rate-mode dedicated
FC_switch_B_1# switchport speed 8000
FC_switch_B_1# switchport fcrxbbcredit 60
FC_switch_B_1# switchport mode E
FC_switch_B_1# switchport trunk mode on
FC_switch_B_1# switchport trunk allowed vsan 10
FC_switch_B_1# switchport trunk allowed vsan add 20
FC_switch_B_1# channel-group 1
fc1/36 added to port-channel 1 and disabled

The distance between Datacenters is 181 m,  what i have to adjust here for distance ?

Thanks

jaloud.aljaloud
Level 1
Level 1

as i said i have now 6 Brocade Switche, each fabric has 3 Swithce. It is enough to take just the configuration from one switch in Fabric, or i have to take all the configuration from 3 Swithce in the fabric, und then i can convert them with Cisco Migration tool?

Just take cfgshow output from the principal switch in BRCD fabric, for each FID. Run it through the migration tool and you will be good to go.
No need to collect and convert from every switch.

what do you mean with FID?

i have just one VSAN 1, if you mean this!

FID – Fabric ID. If you ave only one VSAN, you are good, nothing to worry about.

Ok, but for me just to know, if have more than one VSAN, which command shows me how many Fabrics IDs in Brocade and Cisco Switche?

Here you go:

switch :admin> configShow -all

To display switch configuration data for FID 128:
switch :admin> configshow -fid 128
[Switch Configuration Begin : 0]
SwitchName = dcx_fid30_128
Fabric ID = 128

jaloud.aljaloud
Level 1
Level 1

ok Thanks...

after i run the migrated Config in Cisco Switche ( Principal switch ), should i have to configure the Ports as F Type for the Hosts and Tagets, or its all the config included in migrated config?

Cisco switches can be set to auto configure as F port or E port. The config will take care of it. But if not, just assign auto port mode to all ports on the switch and you should be good to go.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_0/configuration/guides/int/nxos/cli_interfaces/intf.html

switch(config-if)# switchport mode auto
switch(config-if)#
Configures the interface mode to auto-negotiate an E, F, FL, or TE port mode (not TL or SD port modes) of operation.
Note TL ports and SD ports cannot be configured automatically. They must be administratively configured.
Note You cannot configure Fibre Channel interfaces on SSMs in auto mode.

Durining initial Configuration one step is to configure the Ports as F Type

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: