Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v and Vmotion

Greeting all

I understand that the best practice for vmotion with n1kv is to create a separate port-profile type vethernet and with an access vlan same as my control/mgmg/packet and use it for my vmotion

But is it possible to have the vmotion via a different PHYSICAL port and different vlan !

I have tried to migrate a port to my VSM, assign a port-profile (type ethernet with a different access vlan ) but seems like when i tried to add a new vmkernel vlan for my vmotion i can`t find a selection under ==> select standalone port !

7 Replies 7

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You do not need to create a veth port-profile with the control vlan for the vmotion to work successfully on the N1K.

This is all you need to do:

1) Define the vlan on the N1k VSM which you need to use for the vmotion
2) Create a veth port-profile with the required vlan
3) Make sure the vlan is added to the ethernet uplink port profile. In case you want to use a dedicated physical adapter for this, yo can create a new ether type port-profile and have the vmnic added to the n1k dvs with this port-profile.
4) Select the ESX/ESXi host in the VC -> Configuration -> Netowrking -> distributed Virtual Switch -> Manage virtual adapters, this option can be used to either create the new vmkernl for vmotion or migrate an exisitng from the vSwitch to the N1k dvs. a new one would require you to assign an IP address to the interface.

Hope this answers!

./Abhinav

Just to add to Abi's comments, for any # of ethernet uplink port profiles assigned to a single VEM - you can only allow each unique VLAN on ONE of these uplink Port Profiles.

Therefore if you wish to create an uplink strictly for VMotion:

1. Your Vmotion VLAN needs to be dedicated to Vmotion - and not shared with any other type of traffic

2. You need to only allow this VMotion VLAN on the appropriate ethernet Port Profile Uplink using "switchport trunk allowed vlan x" (and conversely, ensure its pruned from any other uplink port profiles)

Regards,

Robert

thanks Robert for your reply, i actually did the config that Abi provided me however it`s not working even a ping is not going through, i used the same ip address/Vlan used for vmotion in the vswitch and no luck i guess next time i`ll try to have the uplink port on my switch as a trunk (the actual config i had was an access port ) and i`ll follow your instructions

I`ll keep you posted how it went

Thanks

If possible do post your running config from the N1K VSM, we can take a look at it.

Do specify the vmotion vlan in use.

./Abhinav

Thanks Abhinav for your reply, actually i`m off the customer site as soon as i`ll get my hands on its N1KV i`ll post the config but just to let you know what i have tried:

system Vlan is 32

port-profile type ethernet Vmotion-Port

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 29

vmaware port-group

state enable

no shut

port-profile type vethernet Vmotion-Pro

switchport mode access

switchport  access vlan 29

vmaware port-group

state enable

no  shut

i attached that port to my dedicated port for vmotion and in the other side of my switch it`s binded to vlan 29 ...

I assocaited that port into my DVS , assigned the port profile Vmotion to it and create the new vmkernel with the profile Vmotion-Pro and enable the vmotion

I assigned an address in vlan 29 but still i can`t even ping that address

BTW when i used manage virtual adapter under my DVS i can see that i have the option to select a physical port or a port-profile but in case if i want to have a physical port and don`t have any option (even if the port is binded to the VSM )

Just to confirm, are you using "ping" or "vmkping"?

To test connectivity to VMkernel ports you need to use vmkping otherwise the host will ping out the management interface.

Robert

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply, i actually used both of them ping and vmkping to the ip address that i`ve assigned to my kernet interface dedicated to Vmotion for the N1kV

I`ll be onsite soon so i`ll keep you in touch

Thanks