cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IC3000: how to make two docker containers communicate?

simon_ntt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to make two containers communicate on a Cisco IC3000 edge gateway. I already know how to do that in a classic docker setup but I struggle to replicate the same thing on the IC3000.

For example, considering the following architecture diagram where container A (a frontend app) and container B (the backend) both listen on port 80

ic3000-help.drawio.png

What I would normally do in docker is to create a network using the following command:

docker network create network-test

And then I would start my containers like this:

docker run --rm -d --name container_a --network network-test -p 8080:80 container_a
docker run --rm -d --name container_b --network network-test container_b

That way, the code of container A would be able to query container B by using its docker name, eg:

GET http://container_B/endpoint_name

And then I would simply start a browser on my host machine and navigate to http://localhost:8080 to see the frontend.

I didn't saw any way to do that after reading the documentation but I've seen on this documentation page (under the "

Statically assigning IP addresses" section) that it's possible to assign static IP addresses when activating a container using the ioxclient:

ioxclient application activate container_a container_a/activation.json
ioxclient application activate container_b container_b/activation.json

As an example, here's the content of activation.json for container_a:

{
    "resources": {
        "profile": "c1.tiny",
        "network": [
            {
                "interface-name": "eth0",
                "network-name": "iox-bridge0",
                "mode": "static",
                "ipv4": {
                    "ip": "1.1.1.2",
                    "prefix": "30"
                }
            },
            {
                "interface-name": "eth1",
                "network-name": "iox-nat_docker0",
                "port_map": {
                    "mode": "custom",
                    "tcp": {
                        "8080": "80"
                    }
                }
            }
        ]
    }
}

The activation step with the ioxclient responds positively but when I go on the container_a's tab on the IC3000 GUI I can see that the interface don't get the correct network:

Screenshot from 2022-04-01 16-12-39.png

And when I browse on http://<cisco-ic3000-ip-address>:8080 I can't access the frontend despite having bound port 8080 to port 80 on network iox-nat_docker0 in the activation.json file.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

PS: I created a repository containing the (very simple) code of those containers + the package.yaml and activation.json files.

Kind regards,

Simon

1 Reply 1

Alex Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: