Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Unresponsive

Matthew Puryear
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to get into the Cisco voice world and learn CUCM. I have a demo that I've installed inside VMWare Workstation. I'm getting very high CPU utilization and absolutely no responsiveness. The CLI takes 20-30 minutes to load each line and the web GUI doesn't load at all (it times out). I tried installing VMWare tools last night and after 12 hours, nothing had happened. I think I've met all of the VM hardware requirements for CUCM. I've never touched CUCM before and I don't even know where to start to troubleshoot this. Any pointers?

Thanks!

11 Replies 11

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VMWare Workstation

That is your problem, it hardly works on it even thougg if you are matching the specs. I understand you might be doing this from a lab perspective but still it is cumbersome for CM or any other UC application to work properly on VM Workstation. You can try to increase the specs and see if it helps.

Regards

Deepak

So I should be using ESXi instead? That seems like an easy enough solution. Thanks!

Yeah if your hardware supports ESXi installation then that should be the best thing and then deploy VMs using the OVA template. Issue should not be there then.

Regards

Deepak

Well that wasn't the problem. I'm now running in ESXi and I still have an unusable Call Manager. 20-30 minutes to load a single line of the CLI, and the web GUI doesn't load at all. Any other suggestions?

Are you providing the VM with the resources it requires according to the OVA you're using??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I've tried every combination of 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 GB of RAM; 1, 2, and 4 CPU cores; and 80 and 120 GB of disk space (sparse and pre-allocated). Same result every time.

OK, and does the host actually have those resources to do a 1:1 mapping???

HTH

java

Yup it does.

Are you using a supported CPU??

By default, after you turn on the server, it always takes about 15-25 minutes to finish starting all services, just making sure you're not actually doing all this while the server is still starting all services.

HTH

java

It is an older computer so it might not be a supported CPU. Is that a Cisco issue or a VMWare issue? Is there a list of supported CPUs?

The VM has been up and consuming 100% CPU for about 4 hours now. I've let it run for as much as 18 hours and it doesn't help.

There's both, one of what general VMWare deployments can use for ESXi, and one of the ones supported for Cisco apps.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization

If it's not listed, it just might not work, or you'll run into issues as you've seen.

HTH

java