Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with VOIP SIP Configuration

Hello all (again),

Recently i posted about configuring voip on my classes lab network. I got a lot of helpful feedback and tips to help point me in the right direction. Today, i made my first voip call. It was amazing (thank you for the help). But, it was only through the local network, not the whole room network.

old post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/help-with-configuring-voip/td-p/4610006

Alas, we ran out of time before we could continue testing, so i wanted to come back prepared for next class. 

Our class has a large network with ospf interconnecting all of the “countries” (please refer to old post diagram). I am trying to figure out if there is any specific requirements for configuring voip on a network with a topology like that. Or should i just be able to plug it all in and work? 

We are using cisco 7841s and using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express v10.5. 

My current VOIP configs are attached in the text file. The ??? marks is where the person using it is supposed to put the information specific to their continent. 

2 Replies 2

In general if you’re routing calls between individual CME systems you’ll need to setup dial peers in each direction, inbound and outbound. For details on how call routing works in IOS have a look at this excellent document.

Response Signature

Thanks for the tip. I was able to start messing around with it today, i didn’t get that far but i wanted to know if you think i am doing it right. 

So the dial peer i want for the incoming calls is configured as 

dial-peer voice 1 voip 

session protocol sipv2

incoming called-number .

next, the dial peer i want for outgoing calls and is 

dial-peer voice 2 voip

session protocol sipv2

destination-pattern 45 (the phone number of the phone connected)

and that’s where i am at right now. i believe i would need “session target *ip address*” but i don’t know the ip address i’m supposed to use. I am configuring this on the router for my network. 

Please let me know if this is correct and what else i can do to make it work, thank you.