Views
Helpful
Replies

Loose connection when adding vrf on subinterface

Fredric Nilsson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have a 7304 NSE-100 acting as a PE router. One of the gigE interfaces has been configured to connect to a 3550EMI with trunking and subinterfaces (trunk in 3550 and subinterfaces in 7304). this works fine.

Now we have decided to put the management in a VPN.

When I add the ip vrf forwarding management_vrf to the subinterface,configured as follows:

gig0/1.2

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2 native

ip vrf forwarding management_vrf

ip address 10.140.2.1 255.255.255.0

the connection to the 3550 management vlan ( vlan2) with ip-address 10.140.2.2 is lost.

Any ideas?

Regards

Fredric

6 Replies 6

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

Can you ping it using the vrf, or you can not reach it at all. Note that you will ned to specify the vrf vrf whenever you want to reach the switch, either telnet or ping or whatever.

Hi!

YEs, I know that I have to ping/telnet from the vrf. It doesnt work anyway.

Regards

Fredric

mesuti
Level 1
Level 1

when you add/remove the ip vrf forwarding command in the global interface mode, the ip address is removed, you should assign the ip address every time after using ip vrf forwarding VPN-NAME.

Hi!

Yes, I know that. And it had been done.

Regards

Fredric

rkariyanna
Level 1
Level 1

When you add the command "ip vrf forwarding Vrf_name", the interface ip address would be removed. You have to reconfigure ip address on the interface.

Good luck

Raga

kschafer
Level 1
Level 1

You mention that you are sure that you have re-added the IP address after placing the interface in the VRF.

Could it be that you are trying to connect to the 7300 from a subnet that is connected to the 3550 rather than from the directly connected 10.140.2.0/24 subnet ?

If you are routing through the 3550, you will need to make sure that the 7300 has a VRF specific route to get back. That or run a VRF specific IGP between the two.

= K