Views
Helpful
Replies

virtual rack (multipoint l2 vpn)

willsmith01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we are just having "router lab" on university and I am interested how dedicated server providers (i.e. rackspace or ovh) are creating their "virtual rack" offers.

Especially I am interested in naming of technologies, I should read about.

In short:

They create automated a virtual switch all your servers are connected to (while maintaining normal internet facing behaviour of your server that has only one link to a switch).

It is not a problem if you have a server (for example) in OVHs france datacenter and another one in a complete different datacenter of them.

I heard you have to configure a special VLAN on your servers they are telling you which connects all servers together.

Is the technology that is used something called a "vlan based pseudowire" or vlan based vpls or ...?

How does this scale to thousands and thousands of virtual racks for your customers?

How is this called on other vendors? We are having cisco, force10 and juniper equipment in the lab. Is there a possiblity of interoperation of different vendors?

Is there a need of a direct router port for each server?

What we created until now is a switch with pvlan enabled, so every server on the switch is unable to communicate with others on layer2 but all can use the same gateway and are in the same subnet.

But now the problem is to get out this vlan tagging vor vrack to the router...^^ I am confused.

Many thanks!

0 Replies 0