Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone happy with Cisco TAC support?

TAC support has gotten really bad for the past few years.  I've many cases opened and it just drags on for months without any resolutions.  The TAC engineers are not very responsive.  For example, I opened a TAC case on 06/24 for an issue.  I got a response back on the same day, provided the engineer everything he requested.  I haven't heard from him since.  The SE support the account is any better, completely clueless.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

16 REPLIES 16

derek.andrew
Beginner
Beginner

I have seen Cisco TAC support be less that what it was in the past (mostly due to hiring of contractors), but a quick call for support to another vendor in Redmond Washington quickly shows me that Cisco TAC is still gold and just needs a bit of polishing.

Aref Alsouqi
Rising star
Rising star

I think the main "issue" that would cause TAC to delay with their responses and to provide "unsure" responses sometimes is the amount of new technologies they are dealing with. Many times it happened that TAC asked to give them some time to lab things up to trying to replicate the exact environment to reproduce the issues. Personally, I do still think TAC is still good, but they defo seem to be much much busier than before, and sometimes struggle to give answers due to many software bugs that we are seeing on a few products. If you feel the tickets are taking longer than expected, you would try to escalate the case to engineer leader, nothing wrong with that, it just sometimes would be the only way to move things faster.

Marvin Rhoads
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend

I've been seeing the same across multiple product lines and with multiple geographic TAC locations. I have brought it up via multiple Cisco venues and not seen any positive outcomes to date.

From what I can tell, Cisco has decided that the "old" TAC model was too good and is now pushing customers to buy higher cost support packages to get what used to be included with regular Smartnet.

agree with @Marvin Rhoads here....  But Cisco TAC is still great compared to the competition.

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

@adamscottmaster2013 wrote:

The TAC engineers are not very responsive.  For example, I opened a TAC case on 06/24 for an issue.  I got a response back on the same day, provided the engineer everything he requested.  I haven't heard from him since.

The initial email where the TAC agent introduces themselves always contain the email address of their supervisor.  I would recommend either doing the following: 

1. Email the TAC agent and CC the supervisor and request for an update. 
  2. Contact Cisco TAC over the phone and request for the case to be re-queued to another engineer. 

NOTE:  There are three TAC "regions":  North America/LATAM, Europe (ME & Africa), Asia (Asia, Australia/NZ).

WARNING:  Have the TAC Cases are assigned to NAM/LATAM, and Europe (ME&A) regions only (and nowhere else).

I replied to the email and CC's their supervisor(s) on it.  Nothing.  Re-queued to another engineer?  Same result.  I am glad I don't use Cisco Firewall anymore in the environment.

Hi @adamscottmaster2013 ,

in this case, the ONLY solution is to talk to the TAC Duty Manager (please take a look at How to Engage with Cisco TAC).

@adamscottmaster2013 wrote:

I replied to the email and CC's their supervisor(s) on it.  Nothing.  Re-queued to another engineer?  

Get it re-queued to another engineer.  Make sure the cases stays on NAM/LATAM or Europe desk only.

I'm with @Leo Laohoo , have the case re-queued to another engineer.

Marcelo Morais
VIP Advisor VIP Advisor
VIP Advisor

Hi @adamscottmaster2013 ,

I would like to add just one thing from what @Leo Laohoo said:

For options 1. and 2.: request a change in Case Severity from P4 to P3, P3 to P2 or P2 to P1 !!!

Note: remember that you can always count on us at Cisco Community  : )

Hope this helps !!!

Damien Miller
VIP Advisor VIP Advisor
VIP Advisor

I deal with customers who have the High Touch TAC offering, I haven't noticed any degradation of support. I do however always open the case with a webex space and ask for an update when I need/want, I feel it's more conversational, informal, and maybe less pressure on the engineer to spend extra time formatting an email. It suits my preferred communication style and they are easier to track than emails. 

Arne Bier
VIP Advisor VIP Advisor
VIP Advisor

I might give that a try - although I am based in Australia I wouldn't mind seeing what it's like dealing with a TAC engineer in the Americas/EMEAR. I don't think Sydney has a TAC anymore. At least, not for ISE.

I remember the days when you could call TAC and have an engineer who could read the IOS C source code - and tell you why OSPF was not converging.

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

@Arne Bier

Have your ISE cases queued to NAM/LATAM and/or EMEA desks only and never get it queued anywhere else.  

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
Have your ISE cases queued to NAM/LATAM and/or EMEA desks only and never get it queued anywhere else.  

All SEA/Australia/NZ ISE cases go to Eastern Europe (for now).

Anyone in SEA/Australia/NZ creating cases for: 

• LAN/WAN (excludes Nexus, thank G0d)
  • Wireless (includes PI and MSE/CMX)
  • UC
  • RMA

Make sure to route TAC Cases to NAM/LATAM and/or EMEA desks and nowhere else.  If in doubt, look at the email signature of the TAC agent and it will specify the time zone they operate on.  If they are not in the areas I have specified, get it re-queued to the correct area.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: