cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from ISE 2.7 patch 10 to ISE 3.2

Santosh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

If our current setup is on ise 2.7 and license has already converted to smart licesnse.

Can we upgrade from 2.7 to 3.2 directly using same license or we need to first upgrade from 2.7 to 3.1?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this VM or Physical Appliance -

based on the requirement -check the compute requirement

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-2/install_guide/b_ise_installationGuide32/b_ise_InstallationGuide32_chapter_2.html

Personally I would install Fresh copy of ISE 3.2 and restore configuration from 2.7 

also follow below thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/ise-2-7-to-3-2-migration-questions/td-p/4891375

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

We do have smart license, since it was mandatory to convert from regular to smart license. So  I assume same license should work for 3.2 and there is not change in it for version 3.1 and 3.2.

We do have smart license, since it was mandatory to convert from regular to smart license. So  I assume same license should work for 3.2 and there is not change in it for version 3.1 and 3.2.

that should work, while installing new setup still you can use 90days License and start testing, once you ready you can move the Licenses - if you have difficulties contact License team they have chat live available to support you.

BB

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this VM or Physical Appliance -

based on the requirement -check the compute requirement

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-2/install_guide/b_ise_installationGuide32/b_ise_InstallationGuide32_chapter_2.html

Personally I would install Fresh copy of ISE 3.2 and restore configuration from 2.7 

also follow below thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/ise-2-7-to-3-2-migration-questions/td-p/4891375

BB

Thank for update , yes we will be installing fresh copy of 3.2,

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Licensing-wise, and Base/Plus/Apex licenses need to be converted to Essentials/Advantage/Premier license types in your smart account. VM-S/M/L need to be converted to VM-C (Common). For most customers this should have been done automatically by Cisco already. If yours have not, you should open a TAC licensing case. Device Admin (TACACS+) licenses are usable as-is

We do have smart license, since it was mandatory to convert from regular to smart license. So  I assume same license should work for 3.2 and there is not change in it for version 3.1 and 3.2.

your existing Base licenses will be converted to term-based Essentials licenses as Marvin mentioned however that will expire on the set date of October 31, 2023. since you already passed this time, you will have to purchase licenses. 

cisco had another program “one year on us” but you missed that window also

With the “ISE One Year on Us” promotion, customers who requested migration from 2.x to 3.x between May 1, 2022, and April 30, 2023, converting their classic Base licenses to term-based Essentials licenses were given an additional 1-year term until October 31, 2024. This offer was valid until April 30, 2023.

After October 31, 2023, those customers who have not migrated yet can continue to use Base licenses on 2.x. However, if a customer wishes to migrate from 2.x to 3.x, they will need to purchase Essentials or advantage licenses (based on their usecase)

read for more details

-hope this helps-

We do have smart license, since it was mandatory to convert from regular to smart license. So  I assume same license should work for 3.2 and there is not change in it for version 3.1 and 3.2.

that should work, while installing new setup still you can use 90days License and start testing, once you ready you can move the Licenses - if you have difficulties contact License team they have chat live available to support you.

BB

Santosh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, everyone for quick response. This place looks to be good to get quick response and solution rather than contacting tac support case. 

are you migrating from 3.1 to 3.2 or from 2.7 to 3.2, if later, you will have to purchase licenses if you are migrating today.

-hope this helps-

Santosh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

SantoshShetty_0-1701424278485.png

This is what it currently showing in license status after we migrated PAK to smart license.  Cisco TAC told us we need to upgrade all our system to 3.1 and license is valid till 2024. So question was is this sufficient to upgrade from 2.7 to 3.2 directly or need additional license ?

Yep, so you did migrate in the time period I mentioned in last post, so you are good for now till Oct 2024. I just wanted to make sure, no assumptions were made

-hope this helps-