Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access 192.168.1.1

Hi all. I got a Cisco ASA 5515-x from ebay and it got plus license but I can't access 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 I have a switch where the gigabit cable is connected to it and another cable to mgmt port to my laptop. I didn't get a console cable but I did buy one from Amazon. Do I have to use the console to see what IP it have or maybe it's disabled and have to enabled it via console. it is also factory reset. this is my first post and I hope this is the right Sector 

12 Replies 12

Hello,

Most devices that are new or factory reset don't have any config or any IP. I believe you would need a console cable to see the config template on the device and start configuring what you want for IPs and other configuration.

Depending on the switch its connected to you could log into that and do a "show cdp neighbor detail" to see if the other device has an IP and other information.

Cisco ASA 5512-X, ASA 5515-X, ASA 5525-X, ASA 5545-X, and ASA 5555-X Quick Start Guide - Cisco

-David

Thank you for the fast response. I guess I need to wait for that console cable. I will update here as soon as I have it. 

If you are unable to access the management interface of your Cisco ASA 5515-X, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can follow:

1. Verify physical connectivity: Ensure that the Ethernet cable from the management port of the ASA is properly connected to your laptop. Also, check that the cable from the gigabit port is connected to your switch.

2. Check IP configuration: Make sure that your laptop's network interface is configured with a static IP address in the same subnet as the management interface of the ASA. For example, if the ASA's management interface has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, assign a compatible IP address to your laptop, such as 192.168.1.2.

3. Disable firewall/antivirus: Temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus software on your laptop, as they may be blocking access to the ASA's management interface.

4. Reset the ASA: If you're still unable to access the ASA, you can try resetting it to factory defaults. This will remove any existing configurations, so proceed with caution. Refer to the Cisco ASA documentation or user manual for instructions on how to perform a factory reset.

5. Console connection: If all else fails, you can establish a console connection to the ASA using a console cable and terminal emulation software (such as PuTTY). This will allow you to access the ASA's command-line interface (CLI) directly and troubleshoot further.

Remember to exercise caution when making changes to network devices, and consult the official Cisco documentation or seek assistance from a certified network professional if needed.

Hello again. I got the cable now and i did follow that guide and write to the memory but couldn't access the WebGUI. When i did a sh run command it shows no ip. Is rhere something else i need to do 

as @david provided the quick strat guide to follow to get quick setup.

you can also have good video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqhSPb282oM

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

ASA firewalls can be challenging to work with. So I walk you through how to setup the interfaces, hostname and out of band management via the ASDM for follow on use.

Thank you for that video link. I will watch it once I'm home from work but thank you again. 

it says like this: 

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
shutdown
no nameif
no security-level
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
shutdown
no nameif
no security-level
no ip address
!

that means port is not allocated to any Interface and also port in shutdown mode

If you watch closely that video, it got step by step (like spoon feeding)

still issue :

post below

show run (complete config)

BB

In his video he has IP 10.x.x.x can i still use and set 192.x.x.x. for an example: 192.168.10.1-192.168.120.2 just for an example. 

Sure you can use any IP address, that is video for reference to get your head around.

BB

ashish.kushwaha
Level 1
Level 1

Please follow the below step to perform Initial Config of ASA

assign IP address & security-level to interface

ASA(config)# ! set interface ip
ASA(config)# int g0/0
ASA(config-if)# no sh
ASA(config-if)# ip add 192.168.101.1
ASA(config-if)# nameif inside
INFO: Security level for "inside" set to 100 by default.
ASA(config-if)# int g0/1
ASA(config-if)# no shut
ASA1(config-if)# nameif outside
INFO: Security level for "outside" set to 0 by default.
ASA(config-if)# ip add 192.168.102.1

ASA(config-if)# sh int ip brief ------to see the ip addresses of interface

To enable http Server

ASA(config)# http server enable
ASA(config)# http 0 0 inside
ASA(config)# username abcd pass cisco@123 pri 15

Ashish K
***Please Rate Helpful Responses***

if you can access via Telnet or SSH via management port that OK, if not then you need to config 
ASA to allow SSH and telnet and this must be done locally via console.