Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Business Switch 350

David266
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Business 350 SFP+ switch that I am trying to get connected to the internet. When I connect it directly to the wall I cant get any internet access however, when I connect the switch to another switch its able to get connected. Any reason why this is? By the way the switch I used as the "host" is an unmanaged Linksys switch. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The original post talks about connecting directly to the wall. We do not know what that really connects to, but it sounds like it is not connecting to the ISP.

For the 350 to access the Internet several things must be in place:

- the 350 must have a connection to the ISP. It is possible that the 350 connects directly to the ISP or it is possible that the 350 connects to something that is connected to the ISP.

- there must be routing for the subnets of the inside network to reach the ISP. And this routing must include a default route which points toward the ISP. The routing might be on the 350 or might be on another device in the path towards the ISP.

- the Private IP addresses used for the Inside network need to be translated. I do not believe that the 350 could do that so some other device needs to do the translating.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how is your setup Linksys---350- user not able to connect?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

IPv4 routing is enabled by default on the CBS350. Try and disable that:

Click IPv4 Configuration > IPv4 Interface.

Enter the following fields:

IPv4 Routing—Check the Enable box to enable IPv4 routing (enabled by default).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cannot say for sure, without additional information, but often ISPs only provide you a single IP address to use when connecting to the Internet, and so, if you want to connect more than one device you need to NAT/PAT.  Probably your 350 either doesn't support that or it's not correctly configured to do so.

When you connect it behind your working (?) switch (which might be a "router" with switch ports - many small units are), than the 350 is likely just functioning as a L2 port expander, and should be able to host additional devices.

The original post talks about connecting directly to the wall. We do not know what that really connects to, but it sounds like it is not connecting to the ISP.

For the 350 to access the Internet several things must be in place:

- the 350 must have a connection to the ISP. It is possible that the 350 connects directly to the ISP or it is possible that the 350 connects to something that is connected to the ISP.

- there must be routing for the subnets of the inside network to reach the ISP. And this routing must include a default route which points toward the ISP. The routing might be on the 350 or might be on another device in the path towards the ISP.

- the Private IP addresses used for the Inside network need to be translated. I do not believe that the 350 could do that so some other device needs to do the translating.

HTH

Rick

MichaelMcCoy
Level 1
Level 1

Also, if you are connecting to a wall port, and then later connecting to a switch directly (to a different port) those ports may be set up with differnet configurations.  

Maybe one port has a bpduguard enabled and the other doesn't?

I am glad that our suggestions have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: