cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure SMTP Mail Test Issue

satan023
Level 1
Level 1

PI version 3.10 , I configured an SMTP server in "Administration/Settings/System Settings/Mail Server Configuration" and then clicked "Test" but nothing happen,I never received the test mail.

pi smtp error 1.pngpi smtp error 2.png

PI alarm said:

System with IP Address '192.168.99.210' failed to send email .This may be due to possible SMTP misconfiguration or network issues.

I have tried:
1. The SMTP server is functioning properly, as the backup server uses the same SMTP address and the email notifications from the backup server are work great.

2.Port 25 from telnet to SMTP address is open in the Prime shell.

jd-s1-cisco-pi-01/admin# telnet smtp.XXX.XXX.com port 25
Trying 119.xxx.xxx.199...
Connected to smtp.xxx.xxx.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.xxx.com Esmtp xxx Mail Server
quit

3.Replace port from 25 to 465/SSL, not work

4.Disable firewall in Prime shell, not work

ade # systemctl stop firewall
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ===
Authentication is required to manage system services or units.
Authenticating as: root
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ===

ade # systemctl status firewall
● firewall.service - CARS firewall
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/firewall.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Mon 2024-03-25 16:03:12 CST; 2s ago
  Process: 24252 ExecStop=/opt/system/bin/firewall_service.sh stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 940 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

5.Use hMailServer to set up an internal SMTP delivery server, and let PI use this internal IP address.

hmailserver.png

pi smtp error 3.png

However Click on test, Prime prompts “Failed to send mail using primary SMTP server: Could not connect to SMTP host:192.168.99.181, port:25,response:-1”

pi smtp error 4.png

But at the same time, PortCheck in my PC is successful:

portchcker.png

This thing driving me crazy!

Any idea?

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check the SMTP server's logs too , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thx for reply :)

Here is the hMailServer log :

"TCPIP"	348	"2024-03-25 15:59:37.177"	"TCP - 192.168.99.210 connected to 192.168.99.181:25."

It seems that the SMTP Delivery server can receive PI's SMTP request, but PI still prompts:Failed to send mail using primary SMTP server: Could not connect to SMTP host:192.168.99.181, port:25,response:-1

- Could you try with a different SMTP server (brand) , if possible , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I have used two other brands of SMTP servers and both have the same issue.

- Use latest patch release for 3.10 , if applicable ; if then still not working contact TAC , 

M.

Unfortunately, our service contract has expired and I am unable to download the upgrade package.It seems that I have to give up the email notification function. Anyway, thx for your support.

Hello,

maybe restarting the Prime services might help. Obviously, do this during off hours. I think the command is something like this:

--> sudo /etc/init.d/cpi restart

It seems that there is no CPI file in /etc/init.d/:

ade # pwd
/etc/init.d
ade # ls
cars_root  functions  NCS  netconsole  network  README  sshd

ade # sudo /etc/init.d/cpi restart
sudo: /etc/init.d/cpi: command not found

Then I tried restarting the PI server, but it still didn't work.