cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect - Brute Force Attempts

JRHTC
Level 1
Level 1

Firepower 2110 managed by FMC - Device is only used as a VPN device and has AnyConnectPlus licensing only.

Since the announcement of the CVE related to AnyConnect I have been monitoring logs, and using FlexConfig to block traffic from IP blocks when I saw attempts come in. This morning logs show a new methodology where they are using a VPN tool, or botnet to make 3-4 login attempts then switch source IPs and try again, this makes IP blocking impossible to implement. All of these attempts are showing as coming from WebVPN.

I have added a FlexConfig to Disable WebVPN (webvpn portal-access-rule 1 deny any) and I get a "forbidden" message if I try to access the WebVPN UI via web browser

However, I still see the below rejected authentication messages showing up in logs.
Group <DfltGrpPolicy> User <*****> IP <107.144.237.108> Authentication: rejected, Session Type: WebVPN.

Am I missing something to completely close down WebVPN as an attack vector since I am still seeing these attempts in logs? Or is the rule working properly and rejecting all logins attempted through WebVPN, but not preventing the attempts entirely based on a limitation of how the rule functions?

3 Replies 3

JRHTC
Level 1
Level 1

Update: It looks like the attempts have stopped, or are now being fully blocked. and are no longer showing up in the logs. Stopped about 10 minutes after I pushed the config update.

DfltGrpPolicy is attached to tunnel-groups DefaultWEBVPNGroup and DefaultRAGroup by default. The DefaultWEBVPNGroup can accept AnyConnections too, not just clientless requests from a browser. And actually, even if you configure "vpn-simultaneous-logins 0" or "vpn-tunnel-protocol ikev1" in the DfltGrpPolicy this doesn't stop password guessing attacks due to the nature of the vulnerability. This only blocks connection attempts *after* login/password prompt, if correct username and password were submitted by the attacker. To stop the password guessing attack (or at least make it more difficult) you need to use cert+aaa authentication, so that attacker needs to provide valid certificate first before password prompt appears. Also, it's recommended not to use default tunnel-groups (if possible, which depends on many factors) and block AAA in them completely with "authentication certificate" in webvpn-attributes.

HTH

I see the same thing on my ASA. We are not using the default connection profiles, so if I change the auth on them to certificate only, that would prevent the password guessing? Other than default our only tunnel group uses SAML to enforce MFA.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card