Helpful
Replies

FTD IPS inline

lambay2000
Level 2
Level 2

Dears

Please confirm the attached diagram flow will work with IPS inline mode,

My goal is to inspect traffic  before it reaches to server in DC ,  Device A is capable of redirecting traffic to IPS interface 1 on vlan 20 through switch after traffic is inspected it should route back through  interface 2 on vlan 30 through switch to Device A.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@lambay2000 

It's recommended to have the IPS between VLAN 40 and Switch2 using another VLAN.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Dear Ruben

Can i know how does the IPS switches frames ?

please find the attached diagram and correct me if the below statements are wrong

• IPS is acting as an virtual wire so instead of two vlans 40 and 50 it should be only one vlan 50  hence IPS is not aware of vlans but to communicate on the same IP subnet the F5 device has a vlan attached to it and acting as a router on stick.
  • Either a device ( server or router) is connected directly or through the switch it doesn't matters as far as the opposite end device has the same subnet IP and vlan number.

Now lets back to the design submitted earlier.

The F5 device is built for this purpose that means it will redirect the traffic to an IPS and it is waiting to receive it back from IPS, hence IPS is not aware of vlans it just stiches the frames from one interface to another interface the frames will receive on the switch on the same broadcast domain and it will receive the frames on the f5 another interface. Please correct me if i m wrong 

Thanks

lambay2000
Level 2
Level 2

Dears

anyone can reply to my query

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card