Helpful
Replies

IOS version Star

fongaratto
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a simple question.

What are the risks of using the above-recommended version with a star?

My client has FMC and FTD 4110 Firewalls in version 6.6.1.

I know that Cisco currently recommends version 6.6.4.

Due to BUG, I see that it needs to go to version 6.6.5, this bug fixes in this version.

How does Cisco determine which version is recommended?

The customer is afraid to use the version above recommended with the star.

I need some link from Cisco with that official information, I haven’t been able to find clear information.

Thanks,

All the best

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @fongaratto,

Recommended release is rated based on the feedback Cisco is receiving about certain version - number of TAC cases, feedback from the client, general stability, etc. Once Cisco is happy with these responses, they mark certain release as a recommended one. This doesn't mean that newer releases are not good, rather that feedback is not sufficient per Cisco's standard to recommend it widelly.

If you have legit reason to go for new release (new functionality released with newer code, or, like in your case, bug fixed in newer code), I would go for it. In general, new patch fixes bugs discovered in older releases, so it make sense not to risk with older code too.

I'm not aware of the official documentation on this subject.

BR,

Milos

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @fongaratto,

Recommended release is rated based on the feedback Cisco is receiving about certain version - number of TAC cases, feedback from the client, general stability, etc. Once Cisco is happy with these responses, they mark certain release as a recommended one. This doesn't mean that newer releases are not good, rather that feedback is not sufficient per Cisco's standard to recommend it widelly.

If you have legit reason to go for new release (new functionality released with newer code, or, like in your case, bug fixed in newer code), I would go for it. In general, new patch fixes bugs discovered in older releases, so it make sense not to risk with older code too.

I'm not aware of the official documentation on this subject.

BR,

Milos

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sometimes you need to use it due to a bug fix, if you are hitting with a bug, there is no Thumb rule you always need to use the 5 Start Gold version.

that is the baseline working well for all, I have some use cases(many) we need to maintenance release it was not *, so look at the release notes and make a decision.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Having the bug fix identified by Cisco is generally considered a good justification to go to the release that's newer than the Gold Star one.

Otherwise the criteria mentioned by @Milos_Jovanovic are correct.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card