cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about running sfr do password-reset

manofsteel03
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we have a pair of ASA5525 with SFR setup in High Availability mode but have forgotten what the SRF password is.
We understand that in order to reset the password on the SFR you login to the ASA and then run the command session sfr do password-reset. My question is, if you do this on the Primary ASA, will it copy the new password over to the secondary or does this have to be performed manually on each device? Also, does changing the password affect any other operations on the device itself that we need to be aware of?

Thx in Advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@manofsteel03 the sfr (Firepower) modules have no awareness of each other and operate as independent devices. That applies whether the ASAs are in an HA pair, cluster or otherwise.

So you have to run the command on each ASA for which you need to reset the password. No data plane or other user traffic will be affected by doing this.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not recollect correctly, doing primary should be replicated to secondary i guess.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@manofsteel03 the sfr (Firepower) modules have no awareness of each other and operate as independent devices. That applies whether the ASAs are in an HA pair, cluster or otherwise.

So you have to run the command on each ASA for which you need to reset the password. No data plane or other user traffic will be affected by doing this.

I decided to run the command session sfr do password-reset on the appliance. Got no error messages after hitting the Enter key. Now when I run session sfr console it then asks for login. I enter admin (as well as Admin) as the username but I get a response Login Incorrect. This is a ASA5555-X unit. Any other username it would default to?

Thx in advance for any help given.

The default is username admin with password Admin123. The admin username is built-in and cannot be deleted. I suppose somebody could have went into the expert (OS level) prompt and really performed unsupported command to change that but under normal operations it should always be available. If all else fails, you can reimage the module.

manofsteel03
Level 1
Level 1

Thx for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card