Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Michael Zsiga
Spotlight
Spotlight

How do you make VXLAN Network Designs Simple, Scalable, and Uncomplicated? 

In this 100% technical show, we are diving into the weeds on VXLAN and what the critical Network Design decisions are around that protocol. I am joined by Lukas Krattiger, a Distinguished Engineer in Technical Marketing, who is going to help me with all things VXLAN!

Let’s go!

You’ll Learn

• What is VXLAN?
  • What is an overlay network versus an underlay network
  • Hear about some examples of how we can ensure VXLAN Network Designs are simple.
  • What is the primary goal of VXLAN (Virtual Extensible LAN)?
  • How do we handle VXLAN BUM traffic and its transport mechanism?
  • Hear why some people make VXLAN Complex.
  • How to ensure our VXLAN Designs are scalable?
  • What are some of the VTEP termination options and why?
  • How do we make VXLAN Manageable?
  • Hear Lukas’s best practice recommendations and suggestions for VXLAN
  • Find out if VXLAN can be used outside of the “traditional” Data Center Designs?
  • How can you start learning VXLAN?

Let’s Simplify VXLAN Network Design

In this section of the show, Lukas and I discuss the different ways to make VXLAN Network Design Simple. We start our discussion by defining what VXLAN is, its original purpose, and how it has evolved over the years. We then talk about the differences between an overlay and underlay, and why you need them. One topic that we go into a bit is how to handle the Broadcast, Unknown-unicast, and Multicast (BUM) traffic within VXLAN. Finally, we compare the other protocols that VXLAN can be chosen over and why? (STP, Fabric Path, Trill, etc…)

VXLAN Network Designs that are Scalable

In this section of the show, Lukas and I discuss the different ways to make VXLAN Network Design Scalable. We discuss the different VTEP termination options and why one should be leveraged over the other. Then we compare the different scaling options for leafs of 256 vs 512 of today, versus 64 years ago. We get into some of the platform discussions, what should be our spines and what should be our leafs. Finally, we discuss how we should properly manage VXLAN Network designs moving forward.

VXLAN Network Designs Uncomplicated!

In this section of the show, I ask Lukas what are his best practice recommendations for VXLAN Network Designs. Then we discuss how we can take VXLAN and leverage it in other places of the network like the Campus or a Service Provider POP Design. Finally, we go into some details on how you can start learning VXLAN today.

For more great content, check out: https://zigbits.tech/

Resources

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: